Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th July 2007, 07:12 AM
jainraje Offline

FC 6 install fails on A7V133

I've been trying to install Fedora Core 6 on my A7V with no success.

System is constantly failing the CD test and locking up during installation. I've swapped CDR drives around, tried various BIOS settings, created ISOs from different mirror sites and both CD test and installation fails. I've even moved the IDE drives from the UltraDMA100 connectors to the UltraDMA66 connectors. Nothing works. System constantly locks up during installation.

Please advise what the steps are to install FC 6 on this motherboard. FYI, I just started another attempt with ide=nodma.

Thanks in advance.

--Rajeev
Old 24th July 2007, 10:51 AM
mobsta Offline

If it's failing the CD test then there is something wrong with the disk. If you've downloaded Fedora on a windows PC try defragmenting the drive that holds the file. then burn at slow speed. that will help too. If you still can't get the cd past the media check then there may be other issues. Plus there are no special way to install FC6 on that MB. I have A7V 133C and never had problems with it.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:43 AM
mobsta Offline

And make sure the ISO is not corrupted. Download this ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/sha1sum.exe if you using Windows, extract the file to the folder where you have the ISO. open a command prompt and change directory to the folder and type sha1sum <isofilename>. When finished compare checksum with the checksum file. Sorry for oversimplifying it.
Old 24th July 2007, 02:14 PM
jainraje Offline

Yes, i did that as well and the checksum matched.

With the ide=nodma setting added, the CD test passed for the first time. I am just starting a full installation and am hopeful (but not holding my breath).

Thx for your reply.
Old 24th July 2007, 02:27 PM
jainraje Offline

FYI, I had downloaded the ISOs from different sites and burned them with progressively slower rates (ie 16x, 8x and 4x). Even moved the CDR drive which burned the CDs from the XP box to the Linux box. The CD test always failed. I have a handful of FC6 disc1 CDs in my garbage can! I have a feeling its related with compatibility between A7V motherboard and Linux.

With the ide=nodma setting, the CD test passed for the first time. I am optimistic this will be the key setting to get me through a complete installation. Let's see. I'll keep you and the group posted...

Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 24th July 2007, 02:55 PM
jainraje Offline

System locked up after inserting disk2 (froze at 57% of X.Org X11 driver installation package). This happened with and without ide=nodma option.

After 3 days of this, I'm almost ready to give FC6 on the A7V a no go.

Please any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 24th July 2007, 04:08 PM
lmo Offline

How long did it freeze?
Some steps in the install may take a very long time ... allow at least 30 minutes before declaring a freeze.
Old 24th July 2007, 05:59 PM
jainraje Offline

Maybe 5-10 minutes with no indications of activity (ie no HD light, no CD activity, not responding to ctl-alt-del). It has appeared frozen at this same stage 1 or 2 time before.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough. I will give it a try again...

Tags
fails, install