Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Closed Thread

Old 11th July 2007, 01:52 PM
metalworm Offline

Talking Linux is too cumbersome now.

Look at the attached image (a.png)

I just open 1 pdf file, 1 mplayer to listen to music, 1 terminal for downloading, 1 firefox 2 with 2 tabs.

See. 800MB RAM is being used. WTF
Look at Processes list (image b.jpg), Firefox is using 236.7MB RAM .

I know the leaking memory bug of FireFox, but this is too much. No idea. And 800MB RAM using is still increase. What the heck are they doing to our Linux ????

P/s: I have optimized my F7 already to make sure it loads the minimal things to run. And i am using Gnome.

So sad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.png
Views:	139
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	12746   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.png
Views:	132
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	12747  
Old 11th July 2007, 01:58 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

You have 2GB. What are you worrying about? That's what it's for.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 11th July 2007, 02:01 PM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalworm
Look at the attached image (a.png)

I just open 1 pdf file, 1 mplayer to listen to music, 1 terminal for downloading, 1 firefox 2 with 2 tabs.

See. 800MB RAM is being used. WTF
Look at Processes list (image b.jpg), Firefox is using 236.7MB RAM .

I know the leaking memory bug of FireFox, but this is too much. No idea. And 800MB RAM using is still increase. What the heck are they doing to our Linux ????

P/s: I have optimized my F7 already to make sure it loads the minimal things to run. And i am using Gnome.

So sad.
Must be something wrong somewhere. I have Evolution, Pan and Firefox running with 4 tabs and I'm watching a Flash video (Up Pompeii!, only Brits will know it) from tv-links.co.uk and you can see my memory use from the attached shot. I'm also running Gnome.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:03 PM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo
After replying I saw your post. Now I realise the OP is confused about how Linux uses available memory!

Wayne
Old 11th July 2007, 02:03 PM
metalworm Offline

Huh? I think the stable, lightweight and fast is our pride for Linux over Windows. Now we must consider the lightweight again.

Quote:
If i did not have 2GB RAM, i would suffer a painfully slow because of accessing hard disk for using swap??? By the way, some people does not make the swap partition because they think that they have high RAM capacity, so what will happen?
Old 11th July 2007, 02:10 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Kind of their problem isnt it? If you are that concerned then run fluxbox and dillo.

BTW though, I do agree with you. The days of Linux running on 128MB are over. But in this case I welcome the progress. There is just no excuse for not having 1GB RAM these days. It's progress friends.

And before all you 512MB folks start flaming me, yes, I know Linux will still run fine on that. but those computers are on their last legs. 1GB is the standard.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 11th July 2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11th July 2007, 02:12 PM
Coolerthanyou Offline

I think some people here already kind of explained to you that the memory used depends on how much is available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenx.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	12750   Click image for larger version

Name:	screeny.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	12751  
Old 11th July 2007, 02:14 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

It just doesn't seem to be an issue as far as I'm concerned. If I had 512MB ram then I would be concerned. with 800MB usage which would now use swap. If I had 2GB and was using 2.2GB I might be concerned. Maybe I'm wrong and it is cause for concern, in which case I too will learn from following this thread. I'm not trying to minimize your concern. I'm just kind of looking at the evidence and thinking it's not a big deal. We have ram to use ram.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 11th July 2007, 02:20 PM
metalworm Offline

I really do not care how much RAM is being used much when my box is still running OK . Just post here for fun . I notice the weird thing is some time I run apache, tomcat, eclipse, mysql at the same time but the RAM is around 550MB; on the other hand, when I open some common applications (as you see above), RAM is increasing so much. Weird??? I cannot explain for that.

In addition, like glenzo said, I have 2GB RAM and that is I what I want for using smooth box. However, my point here is why all of that common applications took so much RAM huh?
Old 11th July 2007, 02:54 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

eyecandy. Progress. As people get bigger and better computers they want thos computers to do more, look prettier. Hey, 2D plain computing just doesnt cut it anymore for me. I want my Beryl with my cube and my window previews and thumbnails and flashy themes and FF plugins and all the bells and whistles. I am not the "original linux guru" type, the purist who uses 95% CLI and text browsers. No sir, I am the new tradition windows refugee and I demand graphics and point and click and plug and play and automount and all the rest. This is the 21st century after all and I did my time on a 16K TRS-80.
Old 11th July 2007, 03:07 PM
Jongi Offline

I find that strange. I have pushed my machine - running TVTime, Foootball Manager 2007 via Wine, beryl, amarok and firefox and I am sure all that came to about 700MB RAM usage with none/little swap usage.

Last edited by Jongi; 11th July 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11th July 2007, 03:37 PM
Adesso Offline

Last time I checked Vista uses 800Mb Ram after a fresh boot... so stop complaining about Fedora eating too much.. if you like you can try Vista on for size.. if it even runs on your PC..

I am happy to give it RAM.. that is why I buy the Gigs of RAM .. so the programs use it.. and it runs nice and fast..

I am gonna try and push the homePC to the limit tonight... and see what I can max it out at..

My Work Box
My Home Box
Old 11th July 2007, 04:13 PM
InKo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerthanyou
I think some people here already kind of explained to you that the memory used depends on how much is available.
hi Coolerthanyou,

what font do you use? it is soo cool!
Old 11th July 2007, 04:19 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Strange, I've just set up all those apps that you mentioned in the first post and I'm still screaming along with my poor ol' 512meg. ram. Plus, I'm posting to you... let's see.... also playing Sauerbraten at normal speeds... all at the same time. Got to think that it's not Fedora but something else - might want to research a bit further.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 11th July 2007, 05:45 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Harrumph!

I fail to see why the computer should so vastly outstrip the functionality of the user. I myself can multitask ... but not much beyond walking and chewing gum. And you can bet it looks pretty silly when I have to start thrashing the old wetware swap file.

So, how much do you really need to do simultaneously?

BTW, Puppy 2.16 runs just fine on 64mb.

Dan

Last edited by TangledWeb; 11th July 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Phat Phingered typing
Closed Thread