Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th July 2007, 04:14 PM
looksalot Offline

How to get kde as default?

I recently did dvd install (not update),
Can't find out how to get kde as default for all users (or any users).
Old 8th July 2007, 04:18 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

each user picks his own DE (as long as it's installed). Just log your user out then on the log in (greeter) screen you should see an entry titles "sessions" on the bottom. Click that then check the DE of your choice. A window will then open asking if you want to use that DE just for this session or to make it your default. Check default. Presto, you are now a KDE head.

edit: in retrospect, I would assume the purpose for your post is you do not even have KDE installed. open a ternimal:

su
(root password)
yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

then see above directions.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 8th July 2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 8th July 2007, 05:09 PM
looksalot Offline

Thanks JN4OldSchool.
DVD full install did not have kde. Bringin it down now.
Old 8th July 2007, 05:16 PM
SuperNu Offline

What I did is to edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop as root. I have added the following lines and deleted everything else.
Code:
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
This sets KDE as the default desktop and sets kdm as the default login manager. If you don't want to use themes with KDM then you need to edit /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc as root and set the line UseTheme=true to UseTheme=false.

--SN
Old 8th July 2007, 05:21 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

I havent tried the full DVD for F7, I used the live CD instead, so i dont know this for a fact, but the place to add packages during install has always been hard to find in Fedora. It is right before you start the actual install Anaconda will ask you in a small checkbox if you want to add packages now. This is unchecked by default. Most people miss this. If you check the box it will take you to a Pirut screen where you would have had the option to install KDE and/or XFCE. By browsing through this interface you will see most of the packages in the repos. We just had another thread where the OP chucklehead was raising heck because Fedora sucks because he couldnt install the kernel source or K3b off the DVD. We tried to explain that he could but he wouldnt listen. He was pissed and his mind was set. But this is the reason why. So next time you install, look close, it's there. But the reality is you are better downloading all these packages fresh anyway as you would have had to yum update them anyway.
Old 8th July 2007, 11:39 PM
looksalot Offline

Created desktop file with your suggestions, works great!
Thanks SuperNu.

Tags
default, kde