<---- template headericclude ----->
Udev hangs, and SATA DRQ device errors
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Jonny Guest

Udev hangs, and ATA DRQ device errors

Hi,

I've just reformatted my FC5 computer to be dual boot XP and Fedora 7. I have two SATA drives and a IDE drive, with a SoundBlaster Live card, an NVidia FX5200, two DVB cards (Tevion-100 and Twinhan), and an IC-7 motherboard.

I also have a DVD burner and a CD burner.

At first when I booted into Fedora, udev took about 5 minutes to start, and then said "udev will continue in background" and had a FAILED mark next to it. I read on a forum that some people found acpi=off to help here. I upgraded the kernel (to 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7), and added acpi=off to grub.conf. I now find when I boot, udev still takes about 5 minutes, but is marked OK, and there is no message about running in the background.

When I get into Fedora, I get messages in dmesg saying:
    ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
    ata1.01: configured for MWDMA2
    ata1: EH complete
    ata1: DRQ=1 with device error, dev_stat 0x59
    ata1.01: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
    ata1.01: cmd a0/00:00:00:00:20/00:00:00:00:00/b0 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data 0
    res 51/20:03:00:00:20/00:00:00:00:00/b0 Emask 0x3 (HSM violation)
    ata1: soft resetting port

the messages repeat regularly.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Jonny
    Last edited by Jonny; 5th July 2007 at 08:17 AM.

Jonny Guest
    I think I've now narrowed it down to my CD drives, dmesg seems to detect them:
    scsi 0:0:0:0: CD-ROM SONY DVD RW DW-U18A UYS1 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
    scsi 0:0:1:0: CD-ROM RICOH DVD/CDRW MP9060 1.50 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

but I don't get any device files (nothing under /dev/hd* or /dev/cd*)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no solution, but I do have a very similar, but (apparently) much more minor problem:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=159779. I have found few results, and none of any help, on google. I'll be watching this thread: perhaps someone will eventually provide some insight.

Regards,
    Vince
    Last edited by Hlingler; 6th July 2007 at 05:43 AM.

Jonny Guest
    Hi Vince,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I've gone back to FC5 now, and I haven't dared try F7 since. Although I realize FC5 is old now, so I'd like to try installing F7.

Thanks,

Jonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello:

No, no solution - the bug report is still open, however, as I said, this is only a minor inconvenience for me, since it only results in log warnings, no sign of performance/functionality impacts. Perhaps you could add a comment to the bug report (see other thread: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=247639) maybe it will add some fuel to the issue, speed things up....

V

Jonny Guest
    I'm not sure I have anything to add at the moment! If I get time (and if I'm brave enough), I'll try reformatting and then upgrading to the newest kernel, and then I'll post some more information.

Thanks,

Jonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI I've been having these problems, lots of crashing, etc.

Googling has shown up a TON of these errors showing up recently on kernel mailing lists.

I have a feeling it's a kernel issue, possibly related to libata.

stevea Guest
    There were a lot of changes between FC5 and mid-FC6 wrt udev. I wouldn't bother - it's past time to upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm compiling the .19 kernel as we speak to try it out and see if the errors go away.

in .20 they enabled NCQ in libata for nvidia controllers which might be one of the issues.

stevea Guest
    That's a mistake. Somewhere around 2.6.19 there was a significant change in the kernel that requires the corresponding changes in udevd. My belief is that this stalled FC5 and to get both updates you need FC6. I've done what you suggest (well actually I built and ran a 2.6.20 on RHEL4) but it was a lot of system work to get around the issues and not for an amateur.

Stop being a blockhead - upgrade to FC6 or better yet F7.

Jonny Guest
    About two months ago I unpluged the Ricoh DVD drive, and my IDE hard drive and put Fedora 7 on. It worked really well for about a month, but I've had a similar problem to my original post since then.

I started a new thread on it because I thought it was a different error (I thought my DVD drive had a hardware error) http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?p=892956, but now I think its the same error. I replaced the DVD drive and I'm still having problems.

Did any of you find a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Jonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Jonny:

Short answer: No. I still see similar error messages on all three of my machines, on a reboot, or sometimes in the daily logwatch reports. Once again, I continue to ignore them, since there appears to be no real problem with any of the hard drives, and no loss of performance or functionality. And no action on the bug report.

Regards,
    V