Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2007, 01:57 AM
jms318 Offline

apache access logs

I'm learning apache and have just begun to learn how to read its access logs.
here is a log I'm not sure what it means?
Code:
70.215.145.110 - - [30/Jun/2007:15:17:11 -0400] "SEARCH /\x90\xc9\xc9\xc9\........ ""  
and this continues for about 200 lines in  the log file and ends with"" 414 326
since this is not a get command is someone trying to gain control of the server or doing a password brut force entry?
just trying to figure out what is happening.

thanks,
Joe
Old 1st July 2007, 05:02 AM
Zotter Offline

Someone trying to crack into your server. It's pretty common and mostly ineffectual. Most of those kinds of attacks are targeted towards IIS servers. They simply bounce off Apache.

However, I do suggest taking a look at the RedHat documentation on securing your web server and explore mod_security for your purposes. Apache can be penetrated - but just not by IIS exploits.

https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/...ecurity_Guide/
Registered Linux user #227845
Old 5th July 2007, 12:08 PM
barf Offline

A little additional info as your starting out. 400 type reponse codes (like 414) mean your server rejected the request, the 326 is the size of the rejection message and if you trawl through your httpd.conf file you will find a list of the repsonse messages.
Old 5th July 2007, 12:44 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

This is interesting and got my curiosity aroused so I was looking at my access_log. There's loads of hits from 1 ip address, but it looks as thought they're just looking at some pics I put up on the wiki. Same for a few other ip's. Makes sense as I e-mailed a few relatives telling them to 'have a look at these photos'. But there are a few curious lines, like this:
207.46.98.47 - -"GET / HTTP/1.0" 301 - "-" msnbot/1.0 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)"
and
207.46.98.47 - - "GET /robots.txt HTTP/1.0" 404 298 "-" "msnbot/1,0 (+http://search.msn..com/msnbot.htm"
I'm not familiar with what these logs should look like. Normal stuff or hand grenade time?

Edit: Interesting. In a terminal, the command tail -f /etc/httpd/logs/access_log gives me a real time look at the hits on the wiki. I'm using a second tab in Firefox on another computer and accessing the wiki, so I know that the ip address is my public ip. As I move around the wiki the log updates. Neat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Last edited by glennzo; 5th July 2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 5th July 2007, 01:41 PM
ibbo Offline

/\x90\xc9\xc9\xc9\

This is a common webdav IIS exploit. Thus if your using linux and apache (which you are) you can laugh to yourself and state muppets.

You can use denyhosts or tcpwrappers to cut this offenders IP out of been responded to if it troubles you.

Ibbo
Linux user #349545
(GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H

Tags
access, apache, logs