Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th June 2007, 10:27 PM
martin.sourada Offline

I upgraded from 512MB to 1,5GB RAM

cool... I had a birthday yesterday and today I celebrated it with my family. And among other presents I got (mostly to eat... ) there was a 1 GB RAM module (from my father) for my notebook, which had 512 MB... Gee... I knew my linux would ran faster (since it swapped a lot), but the result really impressed me... It's cool... swap is now not used, response speed is flawless... ummm... Even the apps began to start faster... I didn't know swapping slowed down my notebook that much... And to consider I have only a lowend CPU, Intel Celeron M420 (1,6 GHz), the performance is really impressive. My fedora is somehow now more entertaining...

What about you? Do you have similar stories to tell?

Your freedom ends where others' starts.
It's the same with software => promote GPL.

Registered Linux User: #431562
My blog: Martin's Chronicles

Echo Icon Theme: homepage

Nodoka: homepage

Fedora Core future enhancements?

JID: martin.sourada AT jabber.cz
Old 29th June 2007, 10:30 PM
schwim Offline

256 > 1 Gig made an unusable F5 install a pleasure!

thanks,
json

performing amazing acts of mediocrity since 1974.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
FC 7(32 bit)/Gnome
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Nvidia 6800 GT
1 Gig ram
Old 30th June 2007, 02:23 AM
Iron_Mike Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.sourada
cool... I had a birthday yesterday and today I celebrated it with my family. And among other presents I got (mostly to eat... ) there was a 1 GB RAM module (from my father) for my notebook, which had 512 MB... Gee... I knew my linux would ran faster (since it swapped a lot), but the result really impressed me... It's cool... swap is now not used, response speed is flawless... ummm... Even the apps began to start faster... I didn't know swapping slowed down my notebook that much... And to consider I have only a lowend CPU, Intel Celeron M420 (1,6 GHz), the performance is really impressive. My fedora is somehow now more entertaining...

What about you? Do you have similar stories to tell?
Hi Martin,

One of the best upgrades to get, more ram. I have 2 gigs in my laptop and don't even partition a swap partition, it complains during install but runs perfectly fine.. Congrats on the upgrade
Old 30th June 2007, 04:18 AM
Lindy Offline

Quote:
I upgraded from 512MB to 1,5GB RAM

I just went from dialup to DSL!.. O.K., ADSL,but it's still better than dialup. Ya gotta love the things that
make your computing experience more enjoyable. Oh, and by the way happy birthday!