Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th June 2007, 08:48 AM
Thetargos Online

ReiserFS and SELinux partitions

Anyone noticed that the problem with reiserFS partitions still persists on Fedora 7? The problem apparently is not ReiserFS as such, but rather SELinux. The first time the computer booted, it all went fine and all the partitions were mounted, no problems. BUT once the First Boot configuration was done, and set SELinux to Obedient (not permissive), THEN my ReirserFS partitions won't mount any more (complaining about a feature not implemented or some such. I know ReiserFS 3.6 doesn't allow for extra flagging (which ext3 does), hence the extra security SELinux may provide to partition is not supported for ReiserFS volumes. Still there is no easy way to convert a ReiserFS partition to ext3 without losing data nor to ReiserFS 4... and I don't have enough HDD space to swap files back and forth.

So I guess that for the time being, I'll have to disable SELinux (or set it to permissive and see whether that setting will allow for the partitions to mount at boot). Note that it is not like you can't mount any reiserFS partition, but rather they won't be mounted at boot time. Once the system's been mounted, you can mount them just fine.

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 26th June 2007, 08:51 AM
nick.stumpos Offline

is reiserfs still being developed since the creator got in that law trouble, murdering his wife or something like that? just a side question, sorry i cant help with th se problem with it
Old 26th June 2007, 10:59 AM
Thetargos Online

I didn't know he'd killed someone nor he was in legal trouble. AFAIK, though, ReiserFS is Open Sourced so, it should be maintained by the community. My problem, though is not whether I want or not to use the format, the problem is I don't have enough space so I can swap the files around and re-format in ext3 or XFS

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.

Tags
partitions, reiserfs, selinux