My Fedora FC6 system has 3 RAID devices
md0 RAID1 hosting the /boot filesystem
md1 RAID5 hosting the / filesystem
md2 RAID5 hosting the /usr2 filesystem
md0 recently failed with one bad disk preventing me from booting up. Instead of working around the single failure it gives me "cannot start dirty degraded array for md1". But it doesn't matter, I wanted to re-image anyway. But I would like to get my md2 back (700GB of precious files). When starting the machine with a Knoppix livecd, the disk partitions making up md2 (/dev... hda2 hdc2 hde2 hdg2) appear to be healthy, but mdadm fails to assemble the array.
I read in another thread that I should manually create /dev/md2, but that didn't help.Code:root@Knoppix:/# mdadm --assemble --scan mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such file or directory mdadm: error opening /dev/md2: No such file or directory mdadm: error opening /dev/md1: No such file or directory
Another suggestion yielded no success:Code:root@Knoppix:/# mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0 root@Knoppix:/# mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1 root@Knoppix:/# mknod /dev/md2 b 9 2 root@Knoppix:/# ls -al /dev/md* brw-r--r-- 1 root root 9, 0 Feb 21 21:19 /dev/md0 brw-r--r-- 1 root root 9, 1 Feb 21 21:19 /dev/md1 brw-r--r-- 1 root root 9, 2 Feb 21 21:19 /dev/md2 root@Knoppix:/# root@Knoppix:/# mdadm --assemble --scan mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such device or address mdadm: error opening /dev/md2: No such device or address mdadm: error opening /dev/md1: No such device or address
And no luck with this suggestion either:Code:root@Knoppix:/# mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 /dev/hda2 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hde2 /dev/hdg2 mdadm: error opening /dev/md2: No such device or address
Why is there no /proc/mdstst at all?Code:root@Knoppix:/etc/init.d# mdadm --examine --scan /dev/hd*2 >/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf root@Knoppix:/etc/init.d# cat /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf ARRAY /dev/md2 level=raid5 num-devices=4 UUID=e46f59e0:9cdca28f:f98ddb8f:1d0eb62c root@Knoppix:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/mdadm start root@Knoppix:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/mdadm-raid start Assembling MD arrays...done (disabled in /etc/default/mdadm). root@Knoppix:/etc/init.d# cat /proc/mdstat cat: /proc/mdstat: No such file or directory
Is the RAID service not running? Should I start it manually? How?
Any ideas?
Thanks.


Reply With Quote
