Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th June 2007, 08:35 AM
RollingEEE Offline

Where does linux store the installed programs?

Hi,
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 CPU, Intel 946GZis Motherboard 2x 1GB Kingston RAM, 1 SATA 80 GB Samsung HDD, and 1 IDE 80 GB Samsung HDD.
I have windows XP in 1 drive, and after wards I installed Fedora Core 6 in another drive and I use GRUB to multiboot. I only started to use linux recently, and don't know many things about it

I downloaded a rpm file of Visual Boy advance. I used the installer to install the rpm, but cannot find any shortcuts or links to launch the application. Where does linux store the installed programs?
Old 14th June 2007, 08:57 AM
tomcat Offline

/usr/bin or /urs/local in most cases, although exceptions to this rule are possible (e.g. /opt)
This link might be useful for you. http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxdir.html

You can add a desktop link to the file or add it to the menu, using the alacarte menu editor.

And have fun with your Linux system.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:14 AM
RollingEEE Offline

Thanks for the tip. But it is not there. If I try to reinstall then linux says that it is already installed in my system, so installation is ok.
Old 14th June 2007, 10:29 AM
markkuk Offline

The RPM file specifies where the files are stored. You can use the command "rpm -ql <packagename>" to list all the files belonging to an installed package.
Old 14th June 2007, 12:26 PM
RollingEEE Offline

Ya thanks got it
it was in /usr/bin

http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/Visualboy_Advance

application runs only with GBA roms, unlike it's corresponding windows version
Old 14th June 2007, 01:16 PM
foolish Offline
Retired Community Manager

Answering this question really requires a bit of explanation on the linux, or rather, unix file structure. If you want to really understand this topic, read the documentation for the File System Hierarchy Standard: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

This is the same document used by Fedora package maintainers when they determine where their packages should install files.

Here's my very basic summary of the document, for a windows user:

Basicly, files are stored by their function. This means files are stored in folders indicating what function the file has, rather than what piece of software it belongs to.

Unlike Windows, unix systems like Linux (Fedora is a Linux system), doesn't use the C: drive, D: drive and so forth system for displaying the information on the hard drives. Instead, it uses one root which contains everything on the computer. In the root there are several standard directories, which contains files which serve a certain function. If you wonder why this is so, read up on the history of UNIX. Some examples:

/boot contains files used to boot the system, and only files used to boot the system.

/home contains folders which acts as each users home dir. This is the only directory a user should have write access to, IE: This is where all files, documents, music, movies, user specific settings and so forth are stored.

/etc contains system wide configuration files. Settings for the entire system.

/usr contains sharable, read-only data. This folder has it's one hierarchy and this is where the binary files, the libraries and the documentation is stored, in short, this is where applications are stored. Run-able files in /usr/bin, libaries in /usr/lib and documentation in /usr/share/doc. The /usr/ hierarchy is a bit complex and I won't go into it here. See the FHS for details.

You then use a package maintainer solution, Fedora uses RPM, to keep track of the system files. The end result is a system where you really don't have to care about the files installed all around your system, you just need to care about packages. IE: All system files, all applications, all run-able files, all libraries, all documentation and so forth is maintained by the package system. You should never have to deal with the files themselves directly. If you want to know which files a package installs, and where, simply query the RPM database for the list of files:

Code:
rpm --query --list <package name>

Tags
installed, linux, programs, store