Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th June 2007, 04:00 AM
schu777 Offline

Upgrade from 6 to 7 - boot loader doesn't want to upgrade...

I'm in the process of upgrading Fedora 6 with 7 - I get all the way up to the point of choosing boot loader and it doesn't let me upgrade the existing grub loader...I believe the only choices was to skip it or to install a new one...

Will it continue to upgrade just fine or do I need to do something else?

Thanks, Michael
Old 13th June 2007, 04:14 AM
Wayne

It's recommended that you don't upgrade from 6 to 7 but to do a clean install. There have been a lot of changes that can lead to problems by doing so. Seems you've run into one already.

Wayne
Old 13th June 2007, 10:49 AM
dbbrtdb Offline

I have two problems :::

1 )
Recently I also tried to upgrade FC6 to F7. and I used all the installation options as default. Specifically I a new boot loader (there was another option to keep the old one). After the upgrade process when it reboots then I found a error that it can not load find any OS (or something similar). what I understood form the error is that there might be some problem with the grub.conf file. Then I installed a new F7.

QUESTION : is there any safe way to upgrade my FC6 to FC7.
2)
On another machine I wanted to upgrade the Firefox from my current 2.0.0.0 to the latest version using
Code:
yum --enablerepo=development update firefox
then it took to update the whole system. and then when I restarted the machine:
  1. I find the system is in a very high resolution and I can barely see anything.
  1. There is no taskbar or/and window list bar.
  1. Only I can open a terminal (from the right click menu)
  1. When I try to change the display (resolution) using "system-config-display"
then the whole screen becomes black. ..........

QUESTION : Is there any way to solve the problem??
Old 13th June 2007, 11:44 AM
daff Offline

1)
It also didn't let me upgrade the boot loader (I was using grub). But I choose to install a new one (still grub).
In the installation option, by default it offered me my 2 partitions (fc and vista) and I just had to change the labels.
But once installed, I found my new grub had 3 entries, the default one was pointing to the old fc6 kernel and was not working because it couldn't find the file. But there was one pointing to the fc7 kernel that I could manually select.
So I just edited my etc/grub.conf, removed that fc6 entry and made sure the one pointing to the fc7 kernel was default.

2)
Not sure what's going on, but you may try to restore your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from a previous version or run X -configure

Tags
boot, loader, upgrade