Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th June 2007, 05:54 PM
esteban2800 Offline

Fedora 6 hangs after 8 hours of inactivity

[FONT=Arial Black]I installed Fedora 6 on my workstation and everything works fine. The only problem I have is that it will hang up if I lock the desktop. When I leave work work, I'll lock it up and the next day it will take hours and hours to log in. This is a local login and i have to reboot the machine all the time. If I log in correctly, it will let me in. However, if I fat-finger my password, it will sit there trying to authenticate my password. Has anyone had this problem? Thank you.
Old 8th June 2007, 07:58 PM
GeMahn Offline

I use FC6 everyday at work. Thats the OS of my choice. My LapTop is on all week and I shutdown on friday and I setup in the system bois to wake my pc on Mondays @ 7:23...lol
I say all that just to say checking your running services would be my first look. apmd & acpid see if those are running
Old 8th June 2007, 09:34 PM
bar5 Offline

This would happen often to me under FC5 (have since upgraded to F7). For me it was always attributable to Firefox -- if I left a multi-tabbed window or couple of windows open for a period of time, Firefox would steal all the memory. Reboot was the only option as the machine was totally unresponsive. I could see it happen progressively by tracking it in the system monitor.

Now I don't know if it was Firefox, the sites I opened or a combination ...

Haven't seen this in F7 thus far

Tags
fedora, hangs, hours, inactivity