Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th June 2007, 07:43 PM
martin.sourada Offline

I little improved my metacity theme and made a draft wiki page for it. Also I gave it a name - Nodoka. If you wish to know more just go to the page and read it and/or look at it. I'd like to create a complete theme, but I don't have much free time to spare (but that will improve in July, when I believe I will have finished my exams at University). Any comments are welcome If you have wiki edit access you can add comments there, if you like. I also included svg sources for the theme, in case some would like to derive their theme from it, or would like to help with this one.

Your freedom ends where others' starts.
It's the same with software => promote GPL.

Registered Linux User: #431562
My blog: Martin's Chronicles

Echo Icon Theme: homepage

Nodoka: homepage

Fedora Core future enhancements?

JID: martin.sourada AT jabber.cz
Old 9th June 2007, 07:51 PM
tomcat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.sourada
I quickly made some mockup for metacity theme. What do you think of it?

metacity-draft.png

Its main goals are echoey look and usability.
My honest opinion: It is not good at all. It is very close to the cartoonish look of Windows XP. I thought that Fedora would be more "mature" and not take any steps back. Also, it is very unoriginal and has too bright colours.
Old 9th June 2007, 08:10 PM
martin.sourada Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat
My honest opinion: It is not good at all. It is very close to the cartoonish look of Windows XP. I thought that Fedora would be more "mature" and not take any steps back. Also, it is very unoriginal and has too bright colours.
Please look at the wiki page (link in my last post), I hope I improved it a little to look it less cartoonish, but ATM I myself am still not satisfied with the buttons. And does it look like WinXP? I never thought that, I haven't see their theme for a year or so, so I don't recall correctly how it looks... About bright colours: well, art is alas very subjective, there are folks complaining of dark colours and folks complaining for bright colours, I like bright, but I can make two versions of it - bright and dark - it wouldn't be nothing new, we have this already for cursors. And about the "accusation" of unoriginality, well, its hard to make a theme that is really original, as there are so much themes already around, and the more if you restrict yourself with creating a theme that match the rest of the desktop... And a small note: when I created I took direct inspiration only in the case of colourful buttons, so if I made something not original it's coincidence, not purpose.

Just a side question, what do you think of the echo icon theme, as I'd like to match those icons?

Old 9th June 2007, 08:33 PM
tomcat Offline

My proposal for a discussion of a new design:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=3245

Wallpaper: Ocean as symbol of infinity, blue colour all over the place, smoothed down, perhaps some extra-gradients etc necessary for softening some spots even more. The window-decoration needs to match in colour without becoming invisible. High visibility of the close-button due to white X instead of a black one, thus distinguishing it a bit from the max/min buttons without beeing too distractive. Still clearlooks, another theme-design would be quite possible. But I would not encourage something with big borders as it will eat up space on the screen. Very bad for e.g. some laptops that only have 800x600 or even less as resolution and require that the usage of every pixel is reconsidered twice.
Old 9th June 2007, 08:38 PM
tomcat Offline

echo icons? they are quite good although I would have used some different colours here and there. The blue that they used there makes it imho difficult to create a matching desktop-theme. Also, I wonder why they have put some violet into the grey-shadows. At least it looks to me as if there is a violet-touch.

About origininality: I know that this is very hard to accomplish. But at least we should think of some freaky new designs, even if they don't work at all when coing them. The point is simply trying to be as creative as possible. I will start to think of some freaky designs. maybe I can come up with something useful.
Old 9th June 2007, 08:48 PM
martin.sourada Offline

Quote:
My proposal for a discussion of a new design:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=3245

Wallpaper: Ocean as symbol of infinity, blue colour all over the place, smoothed down, perhaps some extra-gradients etc necessary for softening some spots even more. The window-decoration needs to match in colour without becoming invisible. High visibility of the close-button due to white X instead of a black one, thus distinguishing it a bit from the max/min buttons without beeing too distractive. Still clearlooks, another theme-design would be quite possible. But I would not encourage something with big borders as it will eat up space on the screen. Very bad for e.g. some laptops that only have 800x600 or even less as resolution and require that the usage of every pixel is reconsidered twice.
Not bad, the ocean is good idea, as you suggested it would need to be little smoothed (or made altogether abstract) for usability cases (e.g. icons should be easy to find on the desktop). About the theme, I think it's a good idea to improving the visibility of the X button, but the theme, I think, does not fit the icons. I see you have in the picture Fedora 7 default icon set, well, that certainly does not look such glassy/shiny as the theme does. I think, Fedora theme should be made to have unified look throughout the whole desktop.

Old 9th June 2007, 08:51 PM
tomcat Offline

Quote:
I think, Fedora theme should be made to have unified look throughout the whole desktop.
I completely agree. I will try to mix something together that matches the echo icons.
Old 9th June 2007, 08:55 PM
martin.sourada Offline

Quote:
echo icons? they are quite good although I would have used some different colours here and there. The blue that they used there makes it imho difficult to create a matching desktop-theme. Also, I wonder why they have put some violet into the grey-shadows. At least it looks to me as if there is a violet-touch.
Hm... I don't think there is a violet touch in the shadows... but as they are transparent it might seem so against blue background. Yep, it's not an easy task to make matching desktop theme to the echo icons, but I like them very much and would like to see them as the default icons set in Fedora 8, therefore if we want to make default fedora desktop theme, icons look and feel should be counted... And that's what I am trying to achieve. I hope, I will improve it as the time goes -- the buttons are currently really not very good.

Quote:
About origininality: I know that this is very hard to accomplish. But at least we should think of some freaky new designs, even if they don't work at all when coing them. The point is simply trying to be as creative as possible. I will start to think of some freaky designs. maybe I can come up with something useful.
Yep, I am all for it, just think it up and make a proposition, we have currently two on the art-list -- one from me, that you said resembles Win XP, and one that resembles Vista a little, we only need one that resembles Mac

Old 9th June 2007, 09:11 PM
tomcat Offline

Hmm... this could perhaps match the echo icons...
http://www.fedoraforum.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=3246

would be cool though if there would be some nice effect on them when you hover over the buttons.