Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Fedora Focus
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Fedora Focus Come in and have a general chat about Fedora and things relating to Fedora.

View Poll Results: Are you disappointed with Fedora 7?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
somewhat 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st May 2007, 10:34 PM
civilwarlord Offline

I Love Fedora! How About You?

I am disappointed with Fedora 7. The only way to get it to recognize my external usb drive is to unplug the usb cable then plug it back in, and networkmanager won't connect to my router no matter what, and since I use different wifi points all the time, I need networkmanager.

FC5 had a problem with usb drives, but a kernel update fixed that, and I never had trouble connecting to wifi points. Updates for FC6 seemed to do more harm than good, but I stuck with it and even tried F7T4, but wasn't happy with it (speed & my other problems), so I moved to opensuse which worked great.

When I downloaded and installed F7, I had hope, but in the several hours I have spent with it, I realized that I can't use it in it's current form. Things that I depend on to just work don't work. I don't have time to fiddle with F7 to get these things to work, I wish I did. I hate leaving Fedora because it's what made me stay with Linux full-time.

I'll keep an eye on the forums & updates, maybe I'll try reinstalling F7 if I see some problems have been fixed. I'll give F8 a chance when it comes out, maybe it will make me switch back.

Last edited by civilwarlord; 1st June 2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 31st May 2007, 10:59 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
And, you've checked Bugzilla? Filed one? If you're unhappy, and obviously you are, then by all means use what does work for you, whether it's another distro or MS or whatever. However, to start this kind of poll with the release just hours old is not fair.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:08 PM
civilwarlord Offline

I attempted to file bug reports with bugzilla, but was unable to do so due to the fact that when I went to bugzilla's site, it slowed my system to a crawl, I posted about it in this very forum but received no answers so I couldn't file a report. Also, I receive your PM and would like to say how dare you claim that I'm trolling just by posting this poll. I had legitimate complaints, and I voiced them. Explain exactly why it's trolling.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:11 PM
Coolerthanyou Offline

Nevermind that, I just have to know, does suspend work better now on 7? On fedora 6 it didn't work for me except from a fresh install from the first spin, broke after some updates. I tried ubuntu 7.04 and sorry to say that suspend and hibernate worked fine even on some old machine, and even with a custom kernel. That is one major thing that bothered me about fedora, not being able to suspend lest on wake there was no screen.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:17 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

Dang!

I sure could have used your bandwidth today.

I don't know if I'm disappointed in F7 or not. I still have a few days left to go on my torrent. The direct DL from the mirror I was using cratered at 1.8 gigs.

However, trying to manipulate our Community Manager/Administrator with a private message sent in good conscience, is bad form. That I am deeply disappointed in.

Dan
Old 31st May 2007, 11:22 PM
bob Online

There are methods for filing problems with Fedora and this is not one of them. The poll is not worthwhile with a distro being only hours old, as I mentioned to you in private. You chose not to respond in kind. As to why I consider it trolling, it's fishing (that's the sense I am using it in) for feedback that may lead to a heated discussion. Simply stating your problems and asking for solutions is fine, but a poll is unnecessary.

Old 31st May 2007, 11:29 PM
civilwarlord Offline

Fishing for feedback? I was simply wanting to see what other people think about F7. If I hadn't been a Fedora user for over a year and instead just came to the forums, posting a poll, I would understand you calling it trolling and threatening to delete the poll like you did in the PM.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:35 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

Hmmm.

Ok. This thread isn't going anywhere but nasty, ugly and useless.

Note that he (Bob) has my complete support.

Dan

Last edited by TangledWeb; 31st May 2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:37 PM
bob Online

Civilwarlord, I am not threatening. I am going to do it unless you want to. It's not the discussion of how you feel about Fedora7, it's the poll that I feel is inappropriate. If we had the version open for a month and people had a chance to try it out, work through the bugs and see the results, well then a poll would be appropriate and I'm sure there will be one. This is only hours old and most people haven't even been able to download it and install it, much less give it a fair shake.

Please understand me, wording aside, I will support your right to say that the version is not working for you and ask for assistance or just say you're not happy and heading over to brand X. I would certainly wish that people who are not happy would voice their problems at Bugzilla, which is how they get fixed or how the Developers become aware of them, since they don't monitor our Forum.

So, will you do the honors and remove the poll or shall I?

Old 31st May 2007, 11:39 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
I agree with Dan. however, I would also like to add that every Fedora Release that I can recall ....... has had a similar thread / post here on this forum.

Does it help or hurt ... ??? No idea ... Although, I don't think it adds anything special .

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 31st May 2007, 11:40 PM
civilwarlord Offline

Where's the rule that says I have to keep PMs private? I'm not taking it down. If someone wants to try Fedora, they will, no matter what the poll says.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:43 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilwarlord
Fishing for feedback? I was simply wanting to see what other people think about F7. If I hadn't been a Fedora user for over a year and instead just came to the forums, posting a poll, I would understand you calling it trolling and threatening to delete the poll like you did in the PM.
Maybe waiting a day or two at least, would have been wise if that is the case.

But I would say more like a month or two.

I also don't understand why people fight it

I mean if a distro doesn't work for you then just use whatever works, try it out when there is a new version and go "hmm...still not right" then chuck the CD/DVD and move on.

Ubuntu has never worked right for me, not once and I've tried on a few different machines, a few different versions, I always get it going but it hasn't ever "just worked".

For some strange reason I have never felt the need to head over to the Ubuntu Forum and post about it even though I am registered there. It's just pointless.
Old 31st May 2007, 11:46 PM
hiberphoptik Offline

meh... listen to all the censorship talk.. the "take this thread down" people must live in the usa?

a poll is simply a question, a question is being asked to satisfy someones curiosity, take the poll or dont take the poll, arguing about it is as bad as trying to tell someone they cant wear certain clothes because you dont like the way they look

just my 2 cents... now ill go back to guildwars
bob Online

Poll closed.

civilwarlord Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka.trek
I absolutely second the motion to remove this thread for the reasons already stated AND because it's obviously some Ubuntu freak posing as a Fedora user pissing in everyone's ear.

I haven't used ubuntu since 2005, and I stated I moved to opensuse. Does that make me an ubuntu freak?

To bob:

You were right about a heated discussion, but it's not from me, it's from everyone else.

Last edited by civilwarlord; 31st May 2007 at 11:48 PM.