Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th May 2007, 09:10 PM
tmort Offline

USB Wireless Adapter & Mini PCI Adapter at Same Time

I have a laptop with an Intel Pro mini PCI card. It works fine, however, sometimes I am in a building with aluminum siding and I can't get a signal from a public wifi network that I can get just outside the building. I'd like to use a USB wireless adapter with a cord and stick it in the window.

I'm thinking about a Microsoft MN 510. I understand there is a driver and it can also be used with NDIS wrapper. Any comments on which way works best would be appreciated.

But I'm not sure if I can run both the mini PCI card and the USB adapter on the same computer. I want to keep the Intel Pro as it works well most of the time and is internal. I'm not sure how I would distinguish between adapters.

Finally I'm wondering it this setup would work with Network Manager.

Any comments will be appreciated. Also if you know of any ready for linux right out of the box options I'd like to know about them.

Thanks
Old 10th December 2009, 02:23 AM
jackdrogba Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Across Mini PCI E Card and USB Wireless Aadpter

From the stability, signal strength, prices, etc. to consider it:

Stability: PCI> PCMCIA> USB

Signal Strength: PCI> PCMCIA> USB

Price: PCI < PCMCIA <USB

There is no signal problems, then recommend the election desktop PCI, notebook PCMCIA Recommended

Mini PCI Wireless Card is to be installed inside the computer, the advantages of: stability. Disadvantages: Fixed single use, although the signal a good point (multi-antenna ah), but there are limitations

USB, direct access outside of advantages: convenience, USB extension cable on the signal can be slightly better the shelter, notebooks, desktop computers can be used. Disadvantages: hot and loud, the signal slightly worse than the Mini PCI E Bluetooth Wifi (non-absolute, depending on the case).
Old 10th December 2009, 02:39 AM
unamanic Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I have a D-Link WUA-1340 that uses a Ralink chip set. Works out of the box with every linux distro I've thrown at it (at least until I can install the Broadcom drivers for my built in). I think I picked it up in the $25-$30 range.

Tags
adapter, mini, pci, time, usb, wireless