Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

View Poll Results: Did it work for you
Yes 456 48.61%
No 341 36.35%
Nearly worked 141 15.03%
Voters: 938. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th September 2009, 07:34 AM
Jeff72 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_jesus View Post
Yeah I did all those, then got back in enabled fglrx and everything worked.

Then enabled compiz and it just freezes every time. Fedora is the only distro I have had any of these issues with.
Did you install Compiz-fusion using official RPMs method posted here?
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...29&postcount=2

Did you rename your old /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try to recreate an aticonfig default using aticonfig commands in the help link here?
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...postcount=3564

The great thing about Linux is that you are free to use whatever distribution you like.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:15 AM
Jeff72 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Catalyst 9.9 packages upgrade from already installed Catalyst 9.8 packages

While looking at RPM Fusion Nonfree updates-testing for Fedora 11, I noticed they had added Catalyst 9.9 packages to the Nonfree updates-testing section. I decided to go ahead and try the Nonfree updates-testing Catalyst 9.9 packages and upgrade my Catalyst 9.8 packages. The following is how I did the upgrade.

NOTE: These packages are still in testing, so do this at your own risk.

For the example below, I am personally running Fedora 11 32-bit with the PAE kernel.

1) Follow the instructions in post #1 of this thread.
2) Follow the instructions in Additional Considerations link from post #1.
3) Make sure part 1 and 2 work for your system before upgrading.
4) Update your Fedora 11 system to the latest Fedora 11 packages and reboot
Example (as root run):
Code:
yum update
5) Update to Catalyst 9.9 packages from Catalyst 9.8 packages
Example for Fedora 11 32-bit PAE kernel users (run the following line as root):
Code:
yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing update kmod-catalyst-PAE xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i586 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
Example for Fedora 11 64-bit kernel users (I haven't tried this since i'm 32-bit) (run the following line as root):
Code:
yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing update kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i586 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
6) Fix SELINUX issues
Example (run the following two lines as root):
Code:
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/usr/lib/catalyst/libGL.so.1.2'
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/usr/lib/catalyst/libatiadlxx.so'
7) If you have installed the akmod-catalyst package, upgrade that also
Example (run this as root):
Code:
yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing update akmod-catalyst
8) Reboot your system

More info:
It seems that disabling RandR 1.2 is still required with Catalyst 9.9 on Fedora 11. I tried re-enabling it (by setting the value to TRUE) but then I would get the display system lockups again. (You should already have disabled it in step 2 above by following the instructions in Additional Considerations link from post #1.)

Last edited by Jeff72; 25th September 2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:54 PM
lhorace Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
HI, my problem maybe simliar to this problem

Hi, I'm on a fresh install of Fedora 11. Last night I decided to install kmod-catalyst and it completely broke Xorg. I check the logs and it had to do with radeon module loading along side with fglrx. I did the necessary steps to block radeon from loading. It worked. I can login and once I reach the desktop, it froze. It happenes on every reboot. My log directory is mounted in tmpfs. However I was able to make hard copies of all my logs. I check them and in dmesg, fglrx was complaining that it was trying to do something and it failed. I didn't take notice and rebooted a few times trying to figure out what was causing the problem. Now I check my logs and THE error has disappeared but the problem still exists. I will show you my logs if anything appears relevant. I'm just coming from F10 but I didn't upgrade, I just format and install F11. I have check all my logs since, none of them show any errors, neither kernel panic. It all seems, it should work. I'm on KDE 4.3.1, and not sure if KDE is the culprit.

------------------------------
All software are pain in the butt including but not limited to windowz.....

Last edited by lhorace; 25th September 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 27th September 2009, 02:49 AM
Jeff72 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhorace View Post
Hi, I'm on a fresh install of Fedora 11. Last night I decided to install kmod-catalyst and it completely broke Xorg. I check the logs and it had to do with radeon module loading along side with fglrx. I did the necessary steps to block radeon from loading. It worked. I can login and once I reach the desktop, it froze. It happenes on every reboot. My log directory is mounted in tmpfs. However I was able to make hard copies of all my logs. I check them and in dmesg, fglrx was complaining that it was trying to do something and it failed. I didn't take notice and rebooted a few times trying to figure out what was causing the problem. Now I check my logs and THE error has disappeared but the problem still exists. I will show you my logs if anything appears relevant. I'm just coming from F10 but I didn't upgrade, I just format and install F11. I have check all my logs since, none of them show any errors, neither kernel panic. It all seems, it should work. I'm on KDE 4.3.1, and not sure if KDE is the culprit.

------------------------------
All software are pain in the butt including but not limited to windowz.....

Did you try the Additional Considerations at the bottom link on post #1 to fix the lockups?

See here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...postcount=3564
Old 27th September 2009, 09:07 PM
rockworldmi Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Got a prob again...

I treid as a post http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503 and also
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...postcount=3564

but still there was problem then i tried iot with "init 3 " and it worked but then i tried this While looking at RPM Fusion (http://rpmfusion.org/) Nonfree updates-testing for Fedora 11, I noticed they had added Catalyst 9.9 packages to the Nonfree updates-testing section. I decided to go ahead and try the Nonfree updates-testing Catalyst 9.9 packages and upgrade my Catalyst 9.8 packages. The following is how I did the upgrade.

NOTE: These packages are still in testing, so do this at your own risk.

For the example below, I am personally running Fedora 11 32-bit with the PAE kernel.

1) Follow the instructions in post #1 of this thread (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503).
2) Follow the instructions in Additional Considerations (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...postcount=3564) link from post #1.
3) Make sure part 1 and 2 work for your system before upgrading.
4) Update your Fedora 11 system to the latest Fedora 11 packages and reboot
Example (as root run):

Code:
---------
yum update
---------
5) Update to Catalyst 9.9 packages from Catalyst 9.8 packages
Example for Fedora 11 32-bit PAE kernel users:

Code:
---------
yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing update kmod-catalyst-PAE xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i586 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
---------
Example for Fedora 11 64-bit kernel users (I haven't tried this since i'm 32-bit):

Code:
---------
yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing update kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i586 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
---------
6) Fix SELINUX issues
Example (run the following two lines as root):

Code:
---------
---------
7) If you have installed the akmod-catalyst package, upgrade that also
Example (run this as root):

Code:
---------
yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing update akmod-catalyst
---------
8) Reboot your system

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
FedoraForum.org
now my screen lags when i use firefox ....
Old 27th September 2009, 11:24 PM
lhorace Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
it worked

Thanks.. it worked
Old 30th September 2009, 12:57 PM
Astrals Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The latest kernel 2.6.30.8-64 for f11x86_64 has stopped desktop effects from working leaving me with no 3d graphics, but my ati control panel is still working.
I am using the previous kernel until i find out to fix this with new kernel.
I know the same question has already been asked the only difference would be the kernel involved, i have spend hours reading pages here and have to ask for your help on this.
my previous post on this matter:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...g+ati&page=244

You have my thanks in advance for your constructive help.

EDIT:

Problem sorted.

Last edited by Astrals; 1st October 2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 30th September 2009, 08:12 PM
maladeus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Updating to 9.9 gives slow graphics. GLXinfo gives me a strange error.

Quote:
glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 135 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request: 17
Current serial number in output stream: 17
UPDATE
Seems that for some reason the correct kmod isn't loaded:

Quote:
(II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
(II) fglrx(0): Name: fglrx
(II) fglrx(0): Version: 8.64.3
(II) fglrx(0): Date: Jul 14 2009
(II) fglrx(0): Desc: ATI FireGL DRM kernel module
(WW) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version does *not* match driver.
(EE) fglrx(0): incompatible kernel module detected - HW accelerated OpenGL will not work
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0x2000 at 0x7ff684293000
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
I was using akmod to build the module, but I've also tried with the module provided with rpmfusion with no results. Any idea?

UPDATE2:
Just noticed that the xorg-catalyst is labelled f11 and the kmod f11.1 -> Might this be the cause?

UPDATE3:
Got to rpmfusion, downloaded 9.8 and forced a downgrade. Everything is fine now, just not that recent.

Last edited by maladeus; 30th September 2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 1st October 2009, 10:00 AM
Jeff72 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Looks like Catalyst 9.9 was moved to regular RPM Fusion nonfree/updates now (it was in RPM Fusion nonfree/updates-testing before).

A regular "yum update" worked for me now and i'm running the latest kernel and ATI Catalyst 9.9 on Fedora 11 32-bit with compiz-fusion:

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux server1 2.6.30.8-64.fc11.i686.PAE #1 SMP Fri Sep 25 04:56:58 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

$ rpm -qa|grep catalyst |sort
akmod-catalyst-9.9-1.fc11.i686
kmod-catalyst-2.6.30.8-64.fc11.i686.PAE-9.9-1.fc11.1.i686
kmod-catalyst-PAE-9.9-1.fc11.1.i686
xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-9.9-1.fc11.i586
xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs-9.9-1.fc11.i586
These SELINUX fixes may be required after upgrading:
(For more information on these SELINUX commands, see the Additional Considerations Link at the bottom of post #1):
(Run the following two lines as root):
Code:
For other help suggestions, see the Additional Considerations Link at the bottom of post #1.
Old 1st October 2009, 03:38 PM
maladeus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I also did a normal update but I'm on 64bit. I guess I'll keep along with 9.8 as 9.9 doesn't bring relevant features or bug fixes.
Old 1st October 2009, 05:03 PM
Ironmaniaco Offline

linuxdebianmozilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladeus View Post
I also did a normal update but I'm on 64bit. I guess I'll keep along with 9.8 as 9.9 doesn't bring relevant features or bug fixes.
I get the same problem on x86_64 and a Radeon HD 3200 on my notebook

Code:
yum downgrade kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i586 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
worked fine(as a temporary solution) =)
Old 1st October 2009, 06:26 PM
xelnaga Offline

linuxopera
hey guys, does this driver support ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330? I looked at ATI's website for Linux drivers, but they don't seem to list anything for the HD 4330 under Mobility Radeon. If I go to Radeon, there is listed "HD 4350 Series", but I'm assuming that this is for the desktop version of the card. Should this "HD 4350 Series" driver still work?
Old 2nd October 2009, 02:06 PM
maladeus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelnaga View Post
hey guys, does this driver support ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330? I looked at ATI's website for Linux drivers, but they don't seem to list anything for the HD 4330 under Mobility Radeon. If I go to Radeon, there is listed "HD 4350 Series", but I'm assuming that this is for the desktop version of the card. Should this "HD 4350 Series" driver still work?
Yes. In doubt try it. Fedora is about experimenting.
Old 4th October 2009, 11:20 AM
mahdi_ja Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
crash after install

i do all 6 step and install driver.but when i restart and login to system after a minute my system will be crash. i have notebook with ati mobility hd radeon 4670 and i use fc 11.
Old 4th October 2009, 10:01 PM
Erki82 Offline

linuxopera
I allmost broke my F11. I got HP Compaq nx6325 with Ati Xpress 1150 (200M). I went thru first post and thru 3564. But when I went thru 3564, this line:
Code:
aticonfig --initial
In konsole, that sayd to me some thing like that "No sutch device" and this line:
Code:
aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"
Gave me same answer. After that I thout, that catalyst drivers dont support my grafic chip. But I hoped that it may work. I made restart and when Fedora booted up, there was no more this Fedora bubble in middle of screen filling up with white milk, but there was text "Fedora 11" in right side bottom corner of screen. And three lines coming from left, first is blue, on top of that is lightblue and on top of that is white, they all are raceing to right corner, where is Fedora 11. And when they all get to Fedora 11, screen goes black for short time and after that some random code goes over screen. And when code finally stops, I can type text, I tried "login" and "restart", but nothing happends. Then I tried CTRL+ALT+DEL, and linux came into live and send thous kill signals everywhere with "[OK]" and made restart.

I tried this init 3 thing after that. In grub I typed "e" and selected kernel line and at wery end in that line I typed "3". Pressed Enter and pressing "b" linux started up in konsole and I managed to log in as root. Typed in:
Code:
yum remove *catalyst*
After that I made restart. And Fedora started up, without bubble, but X started working with bad resolution and desktop started working allso with bad resolution and with wery small font size. Went to konsole:
Code:
su -
mv /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img.backup /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img.
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Made restart after that. Fedora started up with good resolution and with good font size. Onely startup is without Fedora bubble, i got now thous three lines on top of eachother raceing to Fedora 11.

Some info about system:
Code:
uname -a
Linux minu.arvuti 2.6.30.8-64.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Sep 25 04:43:32 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Code:
lspci | grep -i ati
00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:04.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:06.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:12.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller (rev 80)
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller (rev 80)
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller (rev 80)
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 82)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller (rev 80)
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB4x0 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge (rev 80)
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev 80)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
30:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)
Right now I noticed, that in first post, there is:
( All ATI cards below the HD series are unsupported )

Clearly my mistake, that I didnt notice that before. But when I went checking under that link, and I chouse my Integrated Xpress 200M, I got this page:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...1&lang=English

And in that list, there is ATI Radeon Xpress Series. But this driver seems to be quite old. Eny sugsestions, how I got some hardware acceleration?
Im sorry about my english, not my first language, still learning.

Tags
ati, fglrx, howto