Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th May 2007, 11:47 PM
contraculto Offline

Question Fedora 7 + XFCE the smart way?

Hi there,

i'm planning on giving my machine a format and install fedora 7 from scratch, but the thing is i want to use xfce, not gnome, not kde. so the question is: what would be the best method of installing stuff in oder to get it working?

i know i could just install gnome or something and then do everything graphically, but i'd rather have nothing installed from the disks and then yum xfce. but then i have no idea how to get xfce with console yum.

so, anyone knows how to exactly do this and get it to work fine? links to a tutorial (fc6 one might do?) maybe?

thanks
Old 20th May 2007, 01:12 AM
Gnafu the Great Offline
Gideon Mayhak

XFCE is in the included repositories, and I know Fedora Core 6 showed it under available packages when I did an install while connected to the Internet (doesn't show when not connected). So, I think that you should be able to uncheck GNOME and check XFCE during install, so long as you're connected to the Internet. Fedora 7 might even include it on the install DVD, but I haven't really looked.
Old 20th May 2007, 02:23 AM
mbokil Offline

This is the combination I am using and I love it. You can do a 'yum groupinstall XFCE' to install it.
Nvidia Gforce 6200
Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.9 browser with MonkeyMenu Extension
Old 20th May 2007, 08:31 AM
contraculto Offline

thanks guys, just what i needed. i'll look at the options once i try to install, but now i have the options i needed!

Tags
fedora, smart, xfce