Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th May 2007, 05:32 AM
david_mayer Offline

Unhappy sata_mv modules loads, fights with RocketRAID 2220

I designed a RAID server around Fedora Core and the Highpoint RocketRAID 2220 8-port SATA RAID card (perhaps this was a mistake as I am new to both). At the time, I thought the 2.6 kernel was supported by Highpoint, but it is not. They supply source, and I have compiled a driver. Trouble is, on boot, when my RAID PCI card is detected, the system sees it as an 8-port card and loads 8 instances of the module sata_mv (per dmesg, sata_mv is associates with 8 scsi ports).

This module (sata_mv) is not compatible with the compiled RocketRAID driver, per Highpoint docs and technical support. Trouble is, I can't stop it from loading and technical support is Highpoint stumped (or disinterested ). I just don't have enough Linux savvy to know how to prevent sata_mv from loading on boot (it only loads when the card is physically present). I have deleted the sata_mv.ko file from a couple spots, but this isn't sufficient. Can anyone tell my how to stop this module from loading?

BTW, I have run a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic on the 2220 card, and it is in good shape. I am using this MOBO and HDDs, which are compatible with the RocketRAID card per its manufacturer:

Mobo: Tyan S2865G2NR-RS Tomcat K8E
HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA ST3250620AS

Drives all pass Seagate and Highpoint diagnostics.

The overriding problem is that in its present shape, the system cannot create any RAID array. It churns for a while, then simultaneously reports success, failure, and failed disks.

I would be also be delighted to receive suggestions for alternate RAID cards.....
Old 16th May 2007, 05:43 AM
Dies Offline

Look in /etc/modprobe.d/ there should be a script there named blacklist, any modules listed in that script shouldn't be loaded, so just add it there and see if that helps.
Old 17th May 2007, 04:35 AM
david_mayer Offline

I cannot thank you enough. After several weeks, my RAID system is working. My only regret: I didn't post sooner. Thanks again!

Tags
2220, fights, loads, modules, rocketraid, satamv