Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th May 2007, 01:27 AM
peliroja1313 Offline

Exclamation Video display scrambled... help!

Hello, I have installed FC6 via text mode as the graphical interface was all scrambled and unreadable. After the install, the first boot went into the GUI, but it was all scrambled as well. I know nothing about Linux, but need to get this up and running for a school assignment. After reading several posts, I suspect it has something to do with my ATI Radeon 1600 graphics card, but I do not understand the instructions I have seen in the posts to correct this. Anybody, please provide (and I'm sorry for this) step-by-step instructions on what to type and where at the root prompt because I am completely lost and pulling my hair out.
Old 7th May 2007, 03:08 AM
Dies Offline

http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/s...&highlight=ATI
Old 7th May 2007, 04:30 AM
peliroja1313 Offline

Thanks for the reply. However, I already fixed the problem. While going through the text installation, I was not prompted for the monitor type and configuration. I just squinted through the scrambled screen and managed to locate the display information, corrected it to the right type of monitor and resolution, rebooted, and presto! The display works great. Then I had a startup issue where it went straingt to the login command prompt. I found another post that suggested editing the /etc/inittab, which I did and now everything seems to be running smoothly. I appreciate all the help this forum has given me for this and other problems I have had.

Tags
display, scrambled, video