Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th April 2007, 01:28 PM
Graham1 Offline

Question Fedora 7 (Test 4) and Desktop Effects

Hi Guys

After trying the live CD of Fedora 7 (Test 2) a while back, I thought I would download the DVD version (Test 4) as desktop effects worked straight out-the-box without having to update my video drivers and install any additional components . However, having installed Test 4 (DVD) to my laptop, it reported the following:- "Desktop effects could not be enabled". Just wondering what could have changed between Test 2 and 4 and how do I get desktop effects working now? Btw, my video is an Nvidia GeForce4 420 Go 32M.

Old 29th April 2007, 03:42 AM
ryptyde Offline

F7T4 would require you have the Livna repo installed and enabled. Then you would have to get the kernel modules installed that matches your installed kernel. There is always a lag at the repo before the module is built for the latest kernel.

Some testers go to the nVidia site and d'load their driver and build their own module,me I wait for the prebuilt package from the repo=less pain and most of the time I don't worry about desktop-effects until F7 final is released.
Old 29th April 2007, 10:35 PM
Graham1 Offline

Do you have a link to the Livna repo? Also, how do you enable?

Old 29th April 2007, 10:45 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello Graham:
You may want to give a look at freshrpms, due to the difference in how their package [which is not tied to specific kernels] versus the kmod-nvidia packages from livna.
http://zod.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1111
Works very well, especially when you may have a kernel change on a daily basis with Rawhide versions of Fedora.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 30th April 2007, 01:20 AM
Graham1 Offline

Thanks for the link Seve . Unfortunately, my X didn't like those rpm's (I tried the 96xx also) . However, FC7 (maybe earlier versions) has a feature to restore X settings to the default. For me, this is an awesome feature as I've forgotten how many times I have killed X when upgrading my video drivers (on other distro's too). I can now upgrade to my heart's content knowing that I can restore if things go bad .

Tags
desktop, effects, fedora, test