Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th April 2007, 09:20 AM
deadbabylon Offline

Call for testing: Fedora-7-Test4-KDE-Live (F-6.93-KDE-i386-Live)

Hi everybody.

I want to start a call for testing the Test4 KDE livecd. You know that this one is only the second test version for us (the KDE-SIG). So please help us to find all the bugs or major and minor issues related to the kde livecd.

What should be tested:
* Is the cd working for you?
* Is the installation working and bootable (#234728)?
* Is something missing?
* kdm is broken ATM. So we've to use gdm instead. Is it working for you?
* ATM there are two laptop related programs included (#237654): klaptop and kpowersave. klaptop will be packaged into a subpackage soon. Is kpowersave working fine?

And also: If you are interested in making KDE in Fedora better, feel free to join the KDE-SIG. We need every help you could offer (not only packaging, also testing).

Sebastian Vahl (KDE-SIG)
Old 27th April 2007, 10:06 AM
Demz

isn't Linus testing this aswell since he tested test3 of KDE-Live
Old 27th April 2007, 03:01 PM
Paul Scott Offline

The Live CD boots fine for me. I then installed which also worked fine.

The Web browser and Email icons on the taskbar point to the correct applications when running from the CD. However, after installation, they point to htmlview and launchmail respectively and attempt to execute firefox and evolution - which fails.
Old 28th April 2007, 07:39 AM
deadbabylon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz
isn't Linus testing this aswell since he tested test3 of KDE-Live
Is he? I don't know.
But this issue wasn't related to a mac mini only. So any confirmation of this would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scott
The Live CD boots fine for me. I then installed which also worked fine.
Great. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scott
The Web browser and Email icons on the taskbar point to the correct applications when running from the CD. However, after installation, they point to htmlview and launchmail respectively and attempt to execute firefox and evolution - which fails.
Yes. This is workarounded on the livecd and should hopefully be fixed in #230023 or in kickerrc itself.

BTW: I've set up some small notes about the test4: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releas...DELiveCD/Test4

Sebastian
Old 28th April 2007, 02:34 PM
mbokil Offline

The live CD boots for me on an old Athlon Thunderbird system. I liked it so much I installed the DVD ontop of Fedora 6 and I am using Fedora 7 as my main home OS. I am really impressed with Fedora 7. It seems like a lot of time was spent debugging Fedora 7. Everything worked out of the box: Flash drives, mounting/unmounting, Wifi connected, DVD burning worked, Nvidia video working, Cups server printing to HP Deskjet 6540. This version will be a big hit. Perhaps this version will silence some of the FUD I hear on other forums that Fedora is just a testbed. I think it is one of the best desktop linux experiences I have had yet.

I took a screenshot of all this goodness going on. The DE is XFCE4.4.1. The desklets in the corner are Adesklets widgets. Thunar is the file manager running. The browser is Seamonkey 1.1.1 running with the SeaGnome theme I am currently writing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fedpra7-t3.png
Views:	421
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	12012  
Nvidia Gforce 6200
Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.9 browser with MonkeyMenu Extension

Last edited by mbokil; 28th April 2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 28th April 2007, 02:55 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

No boot, no joy on ze5170 HP laptop.

"Unable to find root file system"
Old 28th April 2007, 03:16 PM
mbokil Offline

Quote:
Unable to find root file system
You are probably having trouble because of the changes to the new harddrive system which supports SATA drives. This change was good but in the meanwhile it will probably cause more IO problems with this release of Fedora until all the bugs get ironed out.
Nvidia Gforce 6200
Mozilla Seamonkey 1.1.9 browser with MonkeyMenu Extension
Old 28th April 2007, 04:06 PM
JonC Offline

Sony Vaio VGN-T2XP

Boot - OK

Resolution - OK, but no wide screen

Wifi utilities?
- Knetworkmanager in test 3 worked fine. But it isn't in test 4. There is no GUI for wifi I can find at all on this test.

Klaptop / Kpowersave
- both running (both with little battery icons, which is mildly confusing)
- Suspend - FAIL (still resumes to black nothingness)
- CPU scaling fine
- hibernate = confusion which gives up

Beryl
- seems fine

Sound
- same old problem with external amplifier settings

Last edited by JonC; 28th April 2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 28th April 2007, 08:07 PM
herrib Offline

A post in the French forum translated what deadbabylon wrote and especially highlighted the lack in translation for the Live CD due to space restriction (attached is the reference of the thread).

It appears that the live CD can speak French (partly in fact): http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3343477qr5.jpg

So what is the exact point with translation?
Old 28th April 2007, 09:01 PM
Cruzader Offline

It installs fine for me (running from ram option, running from image gives the same problem below), but on first reboot it gives a bunch of I/O errors related to the ata subsystem. This also occurs when trying to run the LiveCD from the image (as noted above). I'm using 2 samsung ATA133 drives. This problem was also found in test3.
Registered Linux User #392906
Old 28th April 2007, 09:21 PM
deadbabylon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Web
No boot, no joy on ze5170 HP laptop.

"Unable to find root file system"
That problem is related to all live cds. Please have a look at this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=153144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
Wifi utilities?
- Knetworkmanager in test 3 worked fine. But it isn't in test 4. There is no GUI for wifi I can find at all on this test.
Yes. That's sadly true.
On the final knetworkmanager would definitely be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC
Klaptop / Kpowersave
- both running (both with little battery icons, which is mildly confusing)
Klaptop will be packaged in a subpackage soon. So on the final there would only be kpowersave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrib
A post in the French forum translated what deadbabylon wrote and especially highlighted the lack in translation for the Live CD due to space restriction (attached is the reference of the thread).
I've asked several times on fedora-devel for help with this. But there was no reaction. For test3 I've created a "template" and a short howto which explains how to remaster a localized version for your own. An I've also created an inofficial german version which is hosted at fedoraforum.de
The last week I've tested a dvd version with full language support (all kde-i18n and koffice-langpacks). But this wasn't ready for test4. The main problem there is, that you cannot choose your language in a gui. kdm is not able to do this (ok. atm we're using gdm) and so you must add eg. "live_locale=de_DE.UTF-8" at isolinux prompt.

If you (or someone else from fedora-fr.org) is wanting to create a french cd version, I could help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrib
It appears that the live CD can speak French (partly in fact): http://img352.imageshack.us/my.php?...13343477qr5.jpg

So what is the exact point with translation?
No kde-i18n-* and koffice-langpack-*. Anaconda has included it's translations in the normal rpm.

Sebastian
Old 28th April 2007, 09:29 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Quote:
That problem is related to all live cds. Please have a look at this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=153144
Ayup! I've been aware of that since Test 3 failed in exactly the same spot. Bugs filed, no fix yet. Still waiting for one that works.

Dan
Old 28th April 2007, 09:45 PM
Carlton Offline

Live cd booted fine. I've installed from the test cd but would someone mind posting the kernel info from the menu1st file. I prefer too edit grub on my multi-boot box instead of continually reinstall grub.
Old 28th April 2007, 09:58 PM
deadbabylon Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Rider
Live cd booted fine. I've installed from the test cd but would someone mind posting the kernel info from the menu1st file. I prefer too edit grub on my multi-boot box instead of continually reinstall grub.
In this case I normally install grub into the bootsector of the partition, not the mbr. But here is the entry for grub:
Quote:
title Fedora (2.6.20-1.3104.fc7)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.3104.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.20-1.3104.fc7.img
(maybe (hd1,0) and LABEL=/ are different on your system)

Last edited by deadbabylon; 28th April 2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 28th April 2007, 11:40 PM
JonC Offline

Thanks Sebastian, good to know knetworkmanager will be back!

Keep up the good work!