Old 22nd April 2007, 07:55 AM
pedrider2008 Offline

Boot Problem

First my specs:
AMD 3800+ x2
2GB DDR
ATi x1300
dual Gateway FD1975W 19" Widescreens

When I boot Fedora Core 6, it begins to start up with all the text and then it gets to the "starting udev" part and my monitors go blank. One monitor says it has no signal and the other says "Frequency Out of Range" I have it set to dual boot with windows for my gaming addiction. I am a newbie to linux in general and I ran Ubuntu 6.06 for awhile but couldn't get it to support my 1440x900 resolutions so I got rid of it for FC6, recommended by my Computer teacher.
Old 22nd April 2007, 04:19 PM
pedrider2008 Offline

Okay, I typed the "$su- $password <rootpw> #setup" and I got to the setup screen after the loading. Now after that my monitors went blank again and then started to just show a series of majorly corrupted images. Anymore ideas?
Old 22nd April 2007, 05:19 PM
herrib Offline

There is a trouble in the display support. Did you try first to boot with acpi=off (in case of interrupts malfunction) in runlevel 3 and then check what kernel is currently implemented?

First, boot on runlevel 3:

when grub message is displayed press any key(the menu will be displayed) and then, press e (edit)

use the arrows to get on the line beginning by 'kernel'

remove rhgh

add acpi=off 3 (the number 3) at the end of the line

validate (enter) and boot.

n case of success (boot in runlevel 3), just enter the following commands, to check what kernel is implemented, in reference to the Wiki.

If the kernel is an i586, proceed as mentioned. Otherwise, do try setup another time.

If setup succeeded, set the parameters in /boot/grub/grub.conf to drive them to be permanent.
Old 23rd April 2007, 02:22 AM
pedrider2008 Offline

i did the acpi and rhgb thing, but now, it says stuff about irq #11=nobody cares. Then it says try booting using the irqpoll option so i did that. Now it boots through but then goes to a command line interface that i have to enter my username and password into. How do I get it to boot normally into FC6? im removing the rgbh and quiet, then adding irqpoll acpi=0ff $su- $password (my root password) $setup 3 and <enter> and then "b" to boot.
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:56 PM
herrib Offline

So you were in runlevel 3 (no graphic environment, network activated). Did you check what kernel is implemented and use the workaround if needed?

From the runlevel 3, which is used to fix the problems you're facing, type startx and you'll go to the graphical environment.

To make the changes permanent, open a terminal (in runlevel 5 - graphical environment):
Code:
 $ su -
$ password: <root password>
# gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf
change the line beginning by kernel as you did for the boot irqpoll acpi=off but do not type 3
save and quit.
The next boot will bring you straight to the graphical runlevel.
The next
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:22 PM
pedrider2008 Offline

how do i run the monitor and video setup? I'm partially confused right now. I checked the i586 and i686, but im running the x86_x64 version, (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6). I ran startx and that did the "No Signal" and "Frequency out of Range" thing. Maybe would my old CRT monitor show it? I'm going to try that when I come home from work today.
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:39 PM
herrib Offline

Just type setup in runlevel 3 (with root rights).

Last edited by herrib; 24th April 2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 24th April 2007, 03:34 AM
pedrider2008 Offline

i fixed it, the gui was using 0 hz as its refresh rate for some reason. Now I was able to fix it by using my crt monitor and it would work for 5 seconds and then shut off, that allowed me to fix it so my lcds would run it, thanks for all your help

Tags
boot, problem