Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th March 2007, 04:17 AM
mat.hunt Offline

Arrow netgear wg311v2 wireless pci

Howdy! I have a netgear wg311v2 wireless pci adapter and am needing to install the driver in fc6. Everything I read on this says I need to use ndiswrapper to install this driver.Im not sure what that is for I am new to linux. I was curious tho' if anyone knows of any resources or past discussion on installing this I coud use to try and get this driver installed. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

mat
Old 30th March 2007, 04:39 AM
Zyris Offline

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ - is a good place to start as theres installation instuctions and help on how to actualy use the program.

If your not game to try and compile the soruce you can find an rpm version of it here
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc6/ndiswrapper/

The basic idea behind ndiswrapper is that you can load the windows driver with in linux to get your wireless card working.
Old 30th March 2007, 04:44 AM
mat.hunt Offline

oh! so all i got to do is download the ndiswrapper and that will allow me to install the driver??
Old 30th March 2007, 04:51 AM
Zyris Offline

Thats pretty much the idea
http://www.jimbo7.com/wiki/index.php?title=WG311v3
the above link is realy quite helpfull you willl need to adapt some of the comands as to load your driver for your card.
but the idea is install ndiswrapper
load the windows driver
check everything works and away you go

as a note there is a different chipset used between v2 and v3 of the card so the v3 drivers that the site links to will not work for you just use the ones that came with the card or download them from the netgear site

also as your using fedora you can pass on the first 2 apt installations and use either the source or the rpm i linked to earlier

Last edited by Zyris; 30th March 2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: extra note
Old 30th March 2007, 05:20 AM
mat.hunt Offline

Sorry! Im lost. I tries to download the rpm package but it says cant verify package conntent no network connection. Im looking at the source code now but I am having difficulties understanding it. Am I not able to download the package do to no network connection or am I doing something goofy. Thanks again for the help!!
Old 30th March 2007, 05:29 AM
mat.hunt Offline

it says cant retrieve software information.....sorry
Old 30th March 2007, 05:45 AM
Zyris Offline

alright
grab the latest stable ndiswrapper from here http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=93482
extract the downloaded file to somewere (the home directory works)
then open up a terminal and cd your self into the directory something like
cd ndiswrapper-1.4.0
once in the directory run the commands as root
make distclean
make
make install

see how this goes for a start if you get any errors post them here
Old 30th March 2007, 06:00 AM
mat.hunt Offline

thank zyris
Old 30th March 2007, 06:07 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat.hunt
Sorry! Im lost. I tries to download the rpm package but it says cant verify package conntent no network connection. Im looking at the source code now but I am having difficulties understanding it. Am I not able to download the package do to no network connection or am I doing something goofy. Thanks again for the help!!
Are you downloading it with one machine and moving it over to the one you want to install it on? If so, if you've moved the RPM to your user home directory open a Terminal and type:

su

give the root password and type:

rpm -ivh *.rpm

Edit: If the RPM is on your desktop, either move it to the home folder or type:

cd Desktop

Wayne

Last edited by rondonjin; 30th March 2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 30th March 2007, 06:15 AM
mat.hunt Offline

after I get to the make command I get this error message....

cant find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build;
give the path to kernel build directory with
KBUILD=<path> argument to make
make[1]: ***[prereq_check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/ndiswrapper-1.40/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thanks again Zyris for the help
Old 30th March 2007, 06:21 AM
mat.hunt Offline

thanks rondonjin ill try that
Old 30th March 2007, 06:37 AM
mat.hunt Offline

i tried that Rondonjin but it says failed dependencies:
gcc is needed
dkms is needed

if i download the rpm package for each of these then put them in the home directory will the commands you gave grab them as needed too??

thanks again
Old 30th March 2007, 06:58 AM
mat.hunt Offline

is it possible that I already have ndiswrapper installed?? everytime I try and install the dependencies it says that the dependencies are already installed and are newer versions. hmmm
Old 30th March 2007, 07:27 AM
Wayne

I really have no experience with wireless or ndiswrapper. You could do a search of the 'howto' section or the forum.

It seems stupid to me that to install a driver you need to install dependencies but you can't download the dependencies because you can't install the driver to get online to get the dependencies!

If you have the full set of install CDs or DVD you probably have gcc and everything else you need to satisfy those dependencies. Unfortunately, in their wisdom, the devs ASSumed that once you've installed the base system you'll get whatever else you need from the repos and didn't make it easy to install extra stuff from the install media! There is a way but I can't find the instructions right now!

Ahh!

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=148258

Wayne

Last edited by rondonjin; 30th March 2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 30th March 2007, 08:28 AM
mat.hunt Offline

thanks rondonjin ill try and follow that tomorrow to see if I can get it to work....thanks again!!

Tags
netgear, pci, wireless