Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th March 2007, 05:54 AM
khunmyo Offline

Multiboot with Grub

Hollow Guys!
Now i am using Win XP and FC 6 in dual boot.
Win Xp is only for Game.
But,I also want to used Debian Linux and FreeBSD in my HDD.
So my plan is...
Win Xp
FC6
Debian
FreeBSD
So i want to read howto multibot with Grub or Lilo
Any URL links for multiboot
and any suggestions
Pls.... Pls....
any body!
help me!

khun myo
I love Linux!
Old 28th March 2007, 07:50 AM
dreamcarrior Offline

There are two methods at least. One is that you can create a small DOS partition and use GRUB4DOS. It will create a partition to hold GRUB and grub.conf so that you can multiboot all sytems. It also has default script to load different Linux distros in different partitions.

Second, you can put one linux distro as the main booting partition (at least for the main grub.conf), and put the kernel image path to the grub.conf file for each distro.

So you might start installing one linux distro that you use least often and then install the rest and finally install the main distro so that your main linux distro takes the full power of modifying the grub.conf.

For me I put a DOS partition (40 MB)
/hda1 - DOS/Ghost 2003
/hda2 - DSL
/hda3 - Windows XP
/hda4 - logical starts
/hda5 - Fedora
/hda6 - SuSE 10.0
/hda7 - NTFS partition for storage
/hda8 - SWAP

you can put the system in any order what ever you like even a second hard drive. I personally make the first 3 partition primary so that they all have the capability to boot. Then I install the systems, you do not need to worry about the order since no matter what happened to your bootloader, you can always fix it later.

After all systems are loaded or installed, you can take out your most favorite distro install disc and boot your system and reinstall grub. After that, mount your other partition and check their grub.conf and copy and paste the lines to your main distro grub.conf and you are set. Maybe the convenient way is to install your favorite distro the last so that you do not need to fix the grub bootloader.

If you use Windows XP more often, you can use GRUB4WIN.

You can see that I put DOS/Ghost so that I can clone partition easily and recover broken Windows XP quickly. Ghost could also be used in Linux.
Old 29th March 2007, 05:23 AM
khunmyo Offline

Thank for quickly reply Dreamcarrior
I like these two methods
And i want more complete references because of my knowledge
I am not well known in Linux.
Now i will test these two methods
thank !
khun myo
i loVe LiNuX

Tags
grub, multiboot