Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd March 2007, 08:33 AM
iamscottevil Offline

Sound, Surround Sound, Intermitten Sound, ANY Sound, Help!

I have my amd 4600 AM2 running FC6 x86-64 and for the life of me I can't figure out the sound issues.
( Abit KN9-SLI motherboard, nforce chipset 570 SLI, realtek onboard sound 7.1 autosensing jacks)

I swore it was working at one point, but now it always says device busy, alsa is a foreign beast to me, how do you even begin to troubleshoot it, enable surround when there is no 6 channel select checkbox in vol controls, and just control this monster?

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Unknown Registered Linux User: 444554
Old 23rd March 2007, 09:17 AM
SlowJet Offline

I was messing with the 5.1 sound in rawhide due to a regression so ...

In volume control, use the menu to get to prefences (or properties) and check everything on.
Then the tab will have the sliders, checkboxes, and DDL's to mess with.

You can do a serach on 5.1 sound or surround sound and see a few pots about settings.

As far as Alsa mixer goes, run it in a term (text gui) and slide everything up to 100%) then do the V/C.

SJ
Old 24th March 2007, 02:51 AM
iamscottevil Offline

Well, it's less a 64 bit problem, than a 32-to-64 bit problem, or actually a hardware upgrade problem. There was a .asoundrc file in my home directory I brought over. The same reason my beryl acted up. So I deleted it and sound now works on two channels. I'm reading how to write .asoundrc files to create 'virtual' devices that can act as stereo or surround by accessing the different devices on my soundcard. You can see them by looking in /proc/asound/

From what I understand you set up channels on the device you define and they link into hardware devices and subdevices to output to the different ports on your soundcard. Yay for me. Still the best way to learn linux is to break it in yourself.

Unknown Registered Linux User: 444554

Tags
intermitten, sound, surround