Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st March 2007, 07:40 PM
PhillipGreen Offline

Linux/Fedora 6 NEWBIE: Linksys Wireless Card Help

Hi, my name is Phillip and I finally took the leap and move from Windows XP to Linux (Fedora Core 6). I am a complete newbie in that I have never used Linux before. Last night I installed Fedora Core six to my Gateway 450SX4 Laptop without a problem. I then spent the rest of the time running the Software Updater under System Tools. So far everything is running very nice and I am enjoying the OS. However, I need assitance in getting my home wireless network to work. I have read through many of the forums regarding this topic; however, I remained confused because it seems all of the post assume some basic knowledge on how to use Linux (I.e., terminal commands and usage, kernal updating procedures, locating and updating ndiswrapper software, etc.). While I think I can follow some of it, there are still too many assumptions for a newbie like me. Therefore I was hoping someone would be kind enough to step me through the process, keeping in mind that I have NEVER used Linux before. I don't might learning something, even if it's complex, but I need to start from the beginning. I really want to give Linux a fair shake. Below is some information that may be helpful in getting me started.

OS: Fedora Core Six (Just Installed Base Version and ran Automatic Software Updates immeadiately after installation).

Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter 2.4 GHz: Model No. WPC54G ver. 3

Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 2.4 GHz: Model No. WRT54G ver. 6

Laptop Hardware: Gateway 450SX4, Pent. IV, 1.5 Ghz, 512 Ram (Full Specs at http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...01271sp2.shtml)

Please let me know if you need any more information. If you need more information regarding something in Linux, please tell me how to find that information for you.

Thank you all very much for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Phillip
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:28 AM
PhillipGreen Offline

Okay, I have tried to learn more and accomplish this on my on. I think I was on the right track but I am now hitting a snag. Here is what I have done so far.

First, I checked to make sure I have kernel-devel. Apparently I do. Under the List in Add/Remove programs it has Kernel 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6.i586 as well as kernel-devel with the same number.

Second, I downloaded ndiswrapper-1.38.tar.gz.

Third, I extracted the contents which created a folder called ndiswrapper-1.38.

Fourth, I ran the follow commands from the terminal: 'make distclean' and 'make.'

Next, I swtiched to root and then changed back to the ndiswrapper directory. The I ran the command 'make install'.

It seemed to install properly, although I noticed some warnings (sorry, can't remember exactly what). Still, the system logs says ndiswrapper version 1.38 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes).

Next I downloaded my Windows Drivers for the card listed in my prior email. Apparently the two files needed are bcmw15.sys and lbcmnds.inf. I extracted them and placed them in a folder called WPC54G.

Finally, I tried to load the drivers for ndiswrapper. This is what it looked like:

[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.38]# ndiswrapper -i Phillip/wpc54g/LBCMNDS.inf
driver lbcmnds is already installed
[root@localhost ndiswrapper-1.38]# ndiswrapper -l
lbcmnds : invalid driver!

So, it tells me the driver is alread installed, yet when i tried to check if the driver is "present" it gives me an error. Further, from what I read, loading the drivers should create a subdirectory within ndiswrapper. However, no such directory has been created. What's goiing on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Phillip
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:05 AM
DJWK Offline

Post Linux newbie, laptop and a wireless.

I'm fairly new to Linux also and I just had a hell of a battle with Wireless my self. I faught for 3 days and nights, did this and that, and then something else. I did it as long as I ever could untill I gave up. Then, a day after that, I was surfing on the web when I saw that I wasnt connected via cabel. The cable* was hanging loose on the table. I don't remember when was the last time I was so happy.

I didnt unfortunately take any notes so I can't tell you what solved the problem. And it propably would'nt help you because I use different hardware. So your actually wasting your time reading this.

Hardware support is crucial, one of the last things I tried was to install a hotkey support. It's sole purpose is to get the browser and e-mail buttons to work and a couple of the LEDs to lit. It was a little thing I thought wouldnt have any effect on wifi, but got the wireless led to lit. Next thing I noticed, everything was working. The funny thing is that I dont know how, wpa_gui is not responsing, NetworkManager only skrews things up if started and I get a long list of errors. Both from hardware and wpa_supplicant. I'm still connected to a WPA2-PSK network.

But I don't ask questions, I'm wireless. Hmm... I wonder if I had a point there somewhere... Oh, don't give up. It's wort it! Sorry for wasting your time. Nice story though.

*If someone wondering, the ethernet cable was not attached during the configuration process.
Old 22nd March 2007, 03:30 AM
spot221 Offline

It looks good just try using a different driver. Somet drivers don't work.
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WP...lity_1.3.1.zip
(got the link from the ndiswrapper page)
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...dex.php/List#L
use the files
BCMWL5A.inf and BCML5.sys

use:
ndiswrapper -e filename (to remove the old file)
then as before use
ndiswrapper -i filname.inf (to install the files)

There is a Broadcom driver that you can use, however I found that the driver crashed my machine when I connected to a encrypted AP. You may need to make sure that it did not load. It is part of the kernel and therefore it should have loaded automaticly.
use
$/sbin/lsmod |grep bcm
should return (provided the module loaded)
bcm43xx

I would only do this next step if you run into problems with the bcm43xx module.
In order to black list the module add bcm43xx to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.

Last edited by spot221; 22nd March 2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:56 AM
PhillipGreen Offline

Thanks for the help so far. I'm still trying. With regard to trying the other drivers, specifically the ones in the WMP54Gv4_200040415.exe, how do I get the drivers out of the Windows .exe file? I installled and tried cabextract to no avail. Below is what happened.

[Phillip@ip24-250-207-161 ~]$ cabextract WMP54Gv4_20040415.exe
WMP54Gv4_20040415.exe: no valid cabinets found

Again, any additional help most welcome.

Sincerely,
Phillip
Old 22nd March 2007, 07:19 AM
PhillipGreen Offline

Nevermind, I realized some .exe's are just like .zip files. I can use the unzip command. I will now try those alternate drivers and post results soon.
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:32 AM
PhillipGreen Offline

Update. I was able to remove the other drivers and install bcmwl5.inf driver. After performing "ndiswrapper -l" it reports that bcmwl5 is installed.

Now the process gets confusing since various sites and forums say various things. I did the "modprobe ndiswrapper" and "ndiswrapper -m" commands and recieved no errors. Apparently this is suppose to create somekind of alias. However, after going to System-Adminstration-Network, Selecting Add New-Wireless . . . I do not see the ndiswrapper(wanl0) device under wireless devices. Just "other wireless card." If I place my wireless card in the computer Linux seems to recognize the card as "Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless" but this has proved useless as I cannot get linux to configure and connect with the card. Also, this was showing up before I installed ndiswrapper and so has nothing to do with it.

Lastly, the ndiswrapper website talks about configuring the wireless network interface after I have the driver loaded. However, I cannot get past the "iwlist wlan0 scan" command.

When I type the command "iwconfig" I get:

[root@ip24-250-207-161 ~]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
Mode:Managed Access Point: Invalid
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-256 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

When I type "iwlist wlan0 scan" I get:

[root@ip24-250-207-161 ~]# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

In short, I am stuck. I think I have tried to follow all the various posts at various sites and help files provided here and at the ndiswrapper site, and I still cannot get this to work. What have I missed? Is it just me, or is setting up wireless connections in Fedora a pain?

Phillip
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:53 PM
spot221 Offline

I found the the ndiswrapper -m command does not always work.

So, try adding the line
alias ndiswrapper wlan0
to /etc/modprobe.conf

When you compiled ndiswrapper did you use the sym link?
use:
#ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.XX-1.XXXX.fcX /lib/modules/kernel-VERSION/build

Finally to load the module
use:
/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:24 PM
PhillipGreen Offline

Spot, I appreciate your help. However, I do not understand your last post. What do you mean by "So, try adding the line
alias ndiswrapper wlan0
to /etc/modprobe.conf"

Is /etc/modprobe.conf a file? Could provide a bit more detail on how to accomplish this step. Thanks.

"When you compiled ndiswrapper did you use the sym link?
use:
#ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.XX-1.XXXX.fcX /lib/modules/kernel-VERSION/build"

No, I did not. Should I uninstall ndiswrapper and begin again? The above command . . . when would I enter it? Before Make install, after, etc? Again, just a little more detail would be great.

"Finally to load the module
use:
/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper"

I take it you mean that I should ran that command after doing the above, right?

Again, thanks for your help.

Phillip
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:30 PM
PhillipGreen Offline

Okay, I do not have a /etc/modprobe.conf file. I do have a modprobe.conf.d Folder within the etc Directory. Within that Folder is a file called modprobe.conf.dist.

Is this the file you are talking about?
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:32 PM
PhillipGreen Offline

Nevermind, I found the file. Still need help on your other two points. In the meantime, I'll add that line and see what happens.

Thanks,
Phillip
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:53 PM
PhillipGreen Offline

Added he line
alias ndiswrapper wlan0
to /etc/modprobe.conf"

Went back and now I get this:

[root@ip24-250-207-161 ndiswrapper-1.38]# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module wlan0 not found.

Any suggestions?
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:53 PM
spot221 Offline

First, lets edit the modprobe.conf file
as root type the command
#gedit /etc/modprob.conf

This will open the modprobe.conf file in a text editor as root.
at the bottem of the page add the following line:
alias ndiswrapper wlan0
Then save the file. This lets the kernel know to use the ndiswrapper as the driver for the wireless card.

note: The modprobe.conf is file located in the /etc/ directory.

Next type this command:
#ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.XX-1.XXXX.fcX /lib/modules/kernel-VERSION/build
This creates a link between the kernel sources and /lib/moudle/kernel-version/build
According to the ndiswrapper insturctions you should have recieved an error durring the make install step, if this step was not completed properly.
see here
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...p/Installation
note: The symlink command above is different becuase fedora puts the kernel sources in a different location.

Nex make sure you have the .inf driver loaded into ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper -i filename.inf and the filename.sys in the same folder

Finally try the
/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
If now error is returned you should be good all set
Sometime, I have to reboot at this step, sometimes it just starts to work. I don't know why.

Last edited by spot221; 22nd March 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 22nd March 2007, 06:08 PM
PhillipGreen Offline

Okay, I still get the follow error. Here is what I typed:

[root@ip24-250-207-161 ndiswrapper-1.38]# #ln -s /usr/src/kernels/2.6.20-1.2950.fc6 /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2950.fc6/build
[root@ip24-250-207-161 ndiswrapper-1.38]# /sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module wlan0 not found.

I will reboot now to see if that corrects the problem.

Thanks,
Phillip
Old 22nd March 2007, 06:10 PM
spot221 Offline

You may need to redo the make and make install steps

Tags
card, linksys, linux or fedora, newbie, wireless