Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th March 2007, 10:09 PM
yinglcs Offline

how to find out which process holding up a specified port?

I tried this:

netstat -a | grep 1554

but it returns nothing.
And yet when I install a program, it said 1554 is being used.

Thank you for any help.
Old 20th March 2007, 11:22 PM
zarthon Offline

Your method of showing port usage looks good to me. My netstat -a seems comprehensive.

I believe there are ways to look around in /proc/net but I have not explored the files there in any depth. Does anyone know more about /proc/net? Are there good scripts in the pkg tree?? Do you have any scripts to share??

You might try checking your /etc/services to see if the port is reserved there for something else. It is not in mine. You may need to add it and that might be where the err message is coming from.

You may need to change your iptables settings. If you are behind a hardware firewall provided by a router or a firewall box then you might try turning iptables off to see if that allows you to run the program in question. I usually stop and start iptables with 'service iptables stop'
then try the new networking program. I then restart with 'service iptables start'. (If it works I fix the rules before I restart, which is is a different matter.) This does not seem as likely as /etc/services since it usually seems to work until you find ou can't reach the program on the port from other programs and / or systems.

It is a bit unclear what you are up to and I stopped short of looking up the usual suspects for 1554.
Are you trying to start a daemon ? File sharing? P2P?
Is the error you are getting when you try to install with yum/ rpm or when you start the client or service or p2p ? Are you starting it with it's script / the 'service' utility or are you starting with a command directly?
Try both. Sometimes one gives information that the other has left out.

I am running many daemons on this machine and was quite confused when only about 6 came up in netstat -a .... then i realized that i was in an ssh window on a system being built and not at a local prompt ! !!

Anyway I hope you solve your problem.

Last edited by zarthon; 21st March 2007 at 03:23 AM. Reason: clarity

Tags
holding, port, process