Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 14th March 2007, 04:58 AM
Firewing1 Offline

How to install and configure Java RE and/or LimeWire the RPM way

Hi,

In this guide I'll show you how to install and configure Java (with the Mozilla plugin) and LimeWire all from RPMs, letting you switch between java configurations with ease.

Reminders
The list of these will be pretty small for this howto but here it is anyways:
  • Many Sun JRE versions can be installed at once, and they are often quite large - You only really need the most recent one. The commands in this howto expect you only have one Sun JRE installed at once, so if you're trying to update to a newer version, you'll have to remove the older ones first. To remove old versions, simply run:
    Code:
    rpm -q jre
    To remove a specific verison, issue
    Code:
    rpm -e name-verson
    where name-version is the package name (jre in this case) and the version outputted by rpm -q. You can just copy > paste the output really. For example:
    Code:
    rpm -q jre
    jre-1.6.0-fcs
    jre-1.5.0_11-fcs
    jre-1.5.0_10-fcs
    jre-1.5.0_09-fcs
    Code:
    rpm -e jre-1.5.0_11-fcs
    rpm -e jre-1.5.0_10-fcs
    rpm -e jre-1.5.0_09-fcs
    You will also want to remove the old alternatives entry:
    Code:
    su -
    alternatives --remove java /usr/java/VERSION/bin/java
    Replace VERSION with the version you're removing. To see the current path, run:
    Code:
    alternatives --display java
  • Remember to use Limewire responsibly; Check your local copyright laws.
  • If you're on a slow connection, disabling uploads (by making slots 0 in preferences) can help speed things up.
  • Many of you are about to ask "Beryl or Compiz killed Limewire! What can I do?" The fix is actually quite simply - Start Limewire like normal, and when the window is all grey, start Metacity. This can by done in the case of Beryl via "Select window manager" in the tray manager or in Compiz by disabling the desktop effects. The window should appear properly now, and so re-enable the desktop-effects or make Beryl your window manager and voila - Limewire in Compiz or Beryl!

** If you would like, you can download the attached tarball which contains two automated scripts that will do all this for you. Simply extract the Compiz or Beryl script to your Desktop. Double-click to run Limewire.
Requirements
Before installing Java or Limewire, make sure you have the correct packages installed:
Code:
su -c "yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33 compat-libstdc++-296"
Java
First things first, you will need Java. You can always get the newest version of Java by visiting this page:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Simply click the Download button, then when presented with a list of downloads choose the Linux RPM (Self-extracting file).
Please save this into your home directory (or move it there if you haven't), and then launch a terminal. Type into it:
Code:
su -c "sh ./jre*.bin"
Keep hitting <enter> until the license is finished, then type yes to signal that you approve of the license. It will unpack and install the JRE, or Java Runtime Environment.
Now that Java has been correctly installed, the plugin needs to be linked so Java applets can be used in web browsers and so that you can switch between Java configurations easily. First, link the plugin: (Ignore errors from chcon if you don't have SELinux enabled)
Code:
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t "$(rpm -ql jre | grep libdeploy\\.so$)"
ln -sf "$(rpm -ql jre|grep plugin|grep ns7/|grep \\.so$)" /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
This command should work for any and all versions of JRE. Secondly, you need to install the Java alternative now:
Code:
/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java $(rpm -ql jre | grep bin/java$) 2
/usr/sbin/alternatives --config java
Select "2".

Finally, restart Firefox/Mozilla/Opera/etc and test your Java here.

Limewire
Once Java is installed, installing Limewire is very simple. Select either the Fedora 7 or Fedora 8 RPMs and install it using the Package Installer.
NOTE: By doing so you are accepting that you will not use Limewire for copyright infringement.
If you don't have the Package Installer (system-config-packages) installed, use a terminal:
Code:
su
rpm -Uhv limewire-free*.rpm
Enjoy!
Firewing1
Attached Files
File Type: gz Start Limewire - CompizBeryl.tar.gz (312 Bytes, 1243 views)

Last edited by Firewing1; 2nd February 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 6th June 2007, 04:59 PM
cowdudy Offline

I followed the steps as indicated, being fairly new to linux I am not sure how to fix this problem. chcon gave me this reply:
chcon: can't apply partial context to unlabeled file /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386/libdeploy.so

also /opt is empty which is why my line looks different than yours. I searched for the file you indicated and pointed to that spot. Was I wrong in doing that? Please help.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:57 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Sorry, that was my mistake - I was adapting these commands from a version where java was installed from /opt and forgot to change that one. I re-did that part of the instructions, it should work now.
Firewing1
Old 8th June 2007, 06:07 AM
cowdudy Offline

I really don't want to be a pest but I get the same error from that line also. I did some searching and it seems there are many ways to install jre. I am running fedora core 5 Kernel 2.6.20. is there something different that I need to do? I will say that mp3 and video are running fine although I have some issues with .wmv files. I don't think windows codec is installed right. Thank you for your help.
Old 8th June 2007, 09:16 AM
rpstitz Offline

Firewing, I tried to follow the steps by copy/paste, and everything worked through installing JRE, but then you said that the plugin needs to be linked. So I typed:

To which terminal replied:
chcon: : No such file or directory

Was there some code that needed to be replaced with my path?
Richard P Stitz - Linux user #447562

If you are experiencing problems, please consider filing a bug report. Without these reports, it is unlikely that the cause of your problem will be addressed by the developers.
Old 8th June 2007, 09:49 AM
shess01 Offline

Quote:
Firewing, I tried to follow the steps by copy/paste, and everything worked through installing JRE, but then you said that the plugin needs to be linked. So I typed:

yeah, I was getting that too then realized that I had downloaded the non-RPM version. I just downloaded the rpm and it worked fine
Old 9th June 2007, 01:28 PM
negatifo Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstitz

Doesn't work for me too? Any suggestions?
10x
Old 9th June 2007, 06:17 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by negatifo
Doesn't work for me too? Any suggestions?
10x
Quote:
[user@Diffingo ~]$ which chcon
/usr/bin/chcon
It shouldn't require you to become root, but maybe try that command after a
Code:
su -
Firewing1
Old 13th June 2007, 02:13 AM
vbdanl Offline

I tried following your instructions, and get the same error, whether I am su or not.
I did download the RPM version, so that isn't the problem either..
also, I looked and the libdeploy.so file does exist.
Here is what I get:
[root@localhost dan]# chcon -t textrel_shlib_t "$(rpm -ql jre | grep libdeploy\\.so$)"
chcon: can't apply partial context to unlabeled file /usr/java/jre1.6.0_01/lib/i386/libdeploy.so

I didn't know what chcon did, but after looking at the man page, I was wondering if the error has anything to do with the fact I have SeLinux disabled? I wasn't sure which option to use during installation, so I chose the disable option, figuring I could enable it later.
Would that cause the error?
thanks for your help.

Last edited by vbdanl; 13th June 2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: more info
Old 13th June 2007, 04:53 AM
Firewing1 Offline

Ah, if selinux is disabled don't worry and just continue with the other commands.
Firewing1
Old 13th June 2007, 05:01 AM
vbdanl Offline

I already enabled selinux, rebooted (it took awhile to do the relabeling), and then ran the commands successfully. Looks like everything is working great now. Thanks Firewing1 !!
Old 13th June 2007, 05:08 AM
vbdanl Offline

forgot to mention one little thing. i ran the alternatives command with the "2" parameter and it came back without any errors. when i followed it with the second alternatives command that configs java - it listed +1 for options. I tried to enter "2" as indicated, but it would not accept it. I ended up putting in "1". Not sure if that makes any diff or not. The java test worked fine.
Old 13th June 2007, 07:11 PM
benjie1 Offline

jre install in FC7

Wow. I'm a newbie and very happy cause I followed your instructions and in one easy try java is working easily in Firefox 2.0.0.4 So easy to follow procedure you outlined. Thanks a lot for posting it. Hope others can have the same luck I did. Thanks again.
Old 17th June 2007, 10:03 PM
NEVERTRUSTPEAS Offline

Brilliant, easy to follow and worked straight off!

Thanks for making another good how to
1gb DDR400 Memory
Nvidia BFG 7600gt
2x 80gb Maxtor SATA Disks running on Striped Nvidia Raid [using LVM]

Help us to give linux a better software support!
CAUTION - dumass present :rolleyes:
Old 18th June 2007, 01:58 AM
PhillyFloyd Offline

So I already knew to do it this way from FC6 days and your HOWTO

But on Fedora7 I just get a blank white screen where the LimeWire GUI usually is -- it installs just fine, and opens and configures just fine, but when the GUI opens, just white

hmm...any ideas?

=== Beryl ===

So I was testing out Beryl and didn't realize I still had it as my DM, well once I turned off beryl, FrostWire and LimeWire displayed just fine ... I guess I will persue this elsewhere, thanks for the HowTo though mate

brad

Last edited by PhillyFloyd; 18th June 2007 at 02:06 AM.

Tags
and or or, configure, install, java, limewire, rpm