Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th March 2007, 03:41 PM
webdevfreak Offline

FC6 / Ati X800 guidance required

Hi, I've installed FC6. Then tried to get Beryl going but without success. I tried different thing I've found in posts but without success. I re-installed FC6 and am ready to give it a go again. I was wondering if someone might guide me a bit. The way i think I understand it is the following.

1. I must install the video card drivers FGLRX, the open source ones.
2. I just install or configure an accelerator, either AIGLX or XGL
3. I must install Beryl and run it.

Am I correct in my assumptions. Did anybody get Beryl going with an ATI X800XT? With this card is it better to use AIGLX or XGL? etc. I just need some guidance to get this going...
The closes I've been is to run Beryl-manager and it freezes for a bi, displays the following message : libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b and it shuts down to the login screen. Any help in the form of steps to follow would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Angelo.
Old 11th March 2007, 01:57 PM
JonC Offline

the driver you must install is the proprietary driver, the open source one comes installed.

I may be wrong, but I think AIGLX works with the FOSS driver, and XGL with the proprietary
Old 11th March 2007, 09:33 PM
toad013 Offline

yeah AIGLX doesn't work with fglrx drivers.

use the fglrx driver from livna. and make sure you turn off composite in your xorg. it's working fine with my x600
Old 18th May 2007, 05:59 PM
techdesk100 Offline

Solved it with Fedora 7 beta 4

I had also problem to get beryl starting with my clevo d900t mobile x800 and Fedora Core 6.

I tried it by using fglrx from livna and also creating one from ATI website. Both did not work. It took me a lot of time. I had a lot of problem start glx. And after that it still did not start beryl.

Finally I got it working by installing Fedora 7 and installing xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.6.3-2.fc7. Did not need an flrgx. My card is automatically detected and everything works oke now.

Waste of my time to try it with Fedora Core 6. Fedora core 7 has now test4 release. Had one problem when installing KDE. I did not want to wait so solved it by downloading a newer from Koji. Gnome had no problems.
26 April 2007 F7 Test4 Release
17 May 2007 Final devel freeze
31 May 2007 F7 General Availability
Old 18th May 2007, 06:30 PM
Firewing1 Offline

If you would like, my AIGLX and ATI howtos will guide you through all those steps you mentioned. (fglrx + Xgl + beryl)
Firewing1
Old 18th May 2007, 06:34 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by techdesk100
I had also problem to get beryl starting with my clevo d900t mobile x800 and Fedora Core 6.

I tried it by using fglrx from livna and also creating one from ATI website. Both did not work. It took me a lot of time. I had a lot of problem start glx. And after that it still did not start beryl.

Finally I got it working by installing Fedora 7 and installing xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.6.3-2.fc7. Did not need an flrgx. My card is automatically detected and everything works oke now.

Waste of my time to try it with Fedora Core 6. Fedora core 7 has now test4 release. Had one problem when installing KDE. I did not want to wait so solved it by downloading a newer from Koji. Gnome had no problems.
26 April 2007 F7 Test4 Release
17 May 2007 Final devel freeze
31 May 2007 F7 General Availability

Perhaps you should have posted for some help instead of struggling on your own
Old 31st May 2007, 06:51 AM
rimzyak Offline

hi
i would like to download fedora 7

Can anyone help me out to find which fedora 7 to download ( x86-64 or i386 ???)???

Im having pentium 4 64 bit processor

Can anyone help me out by sending me the exact link of Fedora 7 general availability??

Thanks

Tags
ati, fc6, guidance, required, x800