Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th April 2004, 02:45 PM
ailmarfarm Offline

Thumbs up Linux distros

Hi, I have been trying out various Linux distro's on an 'old laptop'. So far I have tried Red Hat 7.5, Mandrake 9 & 10, Suse 9 and Fedora Core 1.
I have tried to install other ones, Debian was too hard to install and setup, others such as live cd's etc just would not install onto my system.
I am only playing with these systems and not doing any real work with them, but it seems to me that Fedora wins hands down. I have been able to set up Fedora and the various applications without too much hassle.
I look forward to the next complete release of fedora.
All the developers are doing a stirling job, well done.
Old 24th April 2004, 07:44 PM
Ug Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quite a few there.

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.
Old 24th April 2004, 09:23 PM
Jman Offline

It's all about choices. I'm glad you have tried several distros and are liking Fedora.

I also appreciate the work of the Red Hat developers. A few of them may post here but many are on the Fedora mailing lists.

There wasn't a Red Hat 7.5, though there were 7.3, 8, and 9.

Everybody's looking forward to Fedore Core 2.
Old 25th April 2004, 07:55 AM
Ug Offline
Retired Community Manager

When it finally arrives.

Please adhere to the FedoraForum Guidelines.
Old 25th April 2004, 08:22 AM
ailmarfarm Offline

Red har versions

Oh yes, it was 7.1 actually. A cover cd from a magazine, Linux has come a long way since that release I am happy to say.
Old 25th April 2004, 11:33 AM
imdeemvp Offline

i love redhat/fedora because it was my first linux love!

but i have to admit mandrake has the most and better organized distros there is....slackware is nice too but not recommended for newbies....

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 16th May 2004, 04:05 AM
s0lus Offline

I have tried several distros myself...(RedHat, Mandrake, suse, and Fedora)

Out of all of them, I have found that Fedora has been the easiest to setup, detection of hardware was excellent, and worked wonderfully fast. The only downside I have had so far was not being able to update my Nvidia Drivers so that I would get a faster frame rate with my Nvidia Geforce 5900 Ultra 256mb card which is currently only putting out 240 FPS while running glxgears....disappointing....

cant wait for FC2 to come out...hopefully my gaming situation will be resolved...
Old 16th May 2004, 04:54 AM
mark Offline

I've also done a fair amount of distro sampling, most recent vintages being Red Hat, SuZE and Fedora. I've had (by far!) the best, least-hassle experience with Fedora. ALL of the developers (RH & community) deserve applause - thanks to them, I was finally able to completely wipe XP off of my laptop - giggling hysterically & laughing maniacally all the way!
Old 19th May 2004, 05:37 PM
Nefarious Offline

I've had my experiences with sampling Linux Distro's and I'm just happy to get rid of Windows period off my Laptop. Not yet ready to go 100% with my Main Computer, but any servers I setup, you'll know that I'll be using Fedora. :-)

Also, you might be seeing my name as a developer if things go even better with FC2. We'll just have to wait and see.

Worf: "Romulan Ale should be illegal"
Geordi: "It is..."

Last edited by Nefarious; 21st May 2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 19th May 2004, 05:44 PM
z1xq Offline

Fedora sucks if you dual boot XP.
Old 19th May 2004, 05:46 PM
Nefarious Offline

Why have XP with Fedora? Just get WINE and get rid of Windows period. :-)

Worf: "Romulan Ale should be illegal"
Geordi: "It is..."
Old 19th May 2004, 06:21 PM
Thoreau Offline

yeah i have tried Suse, Mandrake, Redhat, Gentoo, and FreeBSD( i know i know), and Fedora.

I like Gentoo, just for the pure hardness of the whole damn thing. But i love Fedora becuase that's what i use to get my work done. Now if only Novell's IM client protocol worked in GAIM... i could throw windows out the window. *sigh*

"Do I understand your question, man, is it hopeless and forlorn?" Bob Dylan

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-- The Friends of Voltaire, 1906

My NcpMount script for Netware servers
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=544473&postcount=8
Thanks to: Brunson & Ibbo
Old 21st May 2004, 11:07 AM
swag Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by z1xq
Fedora sucks if you dual boot XP.
Ehm... Why? No problems with dual boot here.
Old 6th July 2004, 12:16 AM
Lugh Offline

I have been using Linux for about two months now. I think I have burnt out a hard drive trying the different distros of Linux. I keep coming back to three, Fedora (of course), ArkLinux and Xandros. I am pretty much satisfied with Fedora and Ark; I keep coming back to them. Xandros has an easy printer installer thingee as well as an easy partition/network browser thingee. But, I don't like the Debian packaging and Xandros wants you to buy (BUY! Sounds like MS) new stuff. With Fedora and Ark, I have not been able to install a printer from my home network. This is a must. Whenever, I try to file share between Fedora and Ark to Linux, it never works.

I too dual boot with XP and Fedora and occasionly get an error message. Its been an easy work around, I just press the 'reset' button and GRUB boots fine.
Old 6th July 2004, 12:32 AM
aditrus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau
yeah i have tried Suse, Mandrake, Redhat, Gentoo, and FreeBSD( i know i know), and Fedora.

I like Gentoo, just for the pure hardness of the whole damn thing. But i love Fedora becuase that's what i use to get my work done. Now if only Novell's IM client protocol worked in GAIM... i could throw windows out the window. *sigh*
Nice to know that i'm not alone with Novell + Fedora. I'm also waiting for GAIM to work with Groupwise IM. I'm happy that Novell made a Groupwise client for Linux. Almost like the windows counterpart. The GW client for linux made me 99.5% Fedora user in a days work. I'm so amazed that my Fedora works seamless with snapserver shares, windows shares and Groupwise.