Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th March 2007, 06:01 AM
boboftheevils Offline

Very strange DVD burning issue

Hi,

I am about to lose my marbles and stack of blank DVDs. I have recently installed FC6 and all seems well. I had a lot of issues with Ubuntu (burning anything was an issue along with many other things). I have tried using nautilus, Gnomebaker, cmdline cdrecord, NeroLinux and Brasero. The DVDs burn, but then when I try to use them, they don't mount automatically. If I mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom, the disc mounts but dmesg shows errors. The DVDs I burn then don't work on most machines, but work perfectly my D600 work machine with Windows on it. This has happened with Suse 10.2, Ubuntu and now Fedora 6. When I burn DVDs through Windows they are perfect and will mount automatically when I boot back into linux. I have tried different media too. I would rather not have Windows on this machine at all, but I just can't get this issue resolved. I have googled myself senseless. Please help!

Dell 9300
nVidia Go 6800
1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, NEC 6650 DVD+-RW
Intel2915 WiFi
Old 5th March 2007, 10:00 AM
Enigma 2100 Offline

I don't know a specific answer as to why you have the problem but a few things to try. Does the problem only happen with DVDs or does it happen with CDs as well? If only DVDs have you tried DVD+ and DVD- or does the problem only happen with one type of DVD. I know you tried different media but have you tried changing form DVD + to DVD - or vice versa. Also have you got access to a different DVD burner and tried that in case there is a problem between whatever driver is interfacing with the DVD and Linux. i appreciate it shouldn't be that if you have tried other distros but you never know.
Old 5th March 2007, 10:56 AM
boboftheevils Offline

I have a similar problem with CDs, but slightly different, in that the cds burn, and they work on other machines, they do not mount automatically in linux, even though manually they work. If I burn the CD (data or audio) using NeroLinux, then they work perfectly.

I am not sure how to write DVDs in + or - format.

Could it be the media? Even though they work in Windows? I tried burning a MPEG-2 DVD and it plays on my D600 at work but no where else. Maybe the TSSCorp DVD-ROM on the D600 is super brilliant and can read anything. I don't have any spare CDs lying around right now, but can try. No other burner here either. And it works fine through Windows XP. It even worked while I had OS X 10.4.5 on here!

Thanks for the help.
Old 5th March 2007, 11:57 AM
Enigma 2100 Offline

DVD + or - is dependant ion the media. You burner will write inm the correct form dependant on the if the media is + or -.

Just because the burner works fine in windows doesn't mean it will work in linux it all depends on the drivers and software that controls it. The fact that it works in windows just means the burner hardware is fine but if the linux drivers and software are ropey you will have problems.

I know my computer has problems with DVD + so if your problem is only with DVD + then it seems to be either a Fedora issue or Linux issue. If your discs are DVD + then get DVD - discs and you should be fine.
Old 6th March 2007, 07:30 AM
boboftheevils Offline

Thanks, I will give them a try. Strangley enough, using the same media I burned the Fedora 6 iso to DVD from Ubuntu and it works - I checked again as I obviously used it to install Fedora. I also used DVD R+ to burn a SuSe10.2 dvd, which once again worked. But once the OS is loaded is seems the new disks I write don't work. Ontop of this the discs work in one Windows machine but not others.

I can say that I have had nothing but trouble burning cds/dvds with linux. I have figured out every other problem with my system and have it running perfectly except this. I know I am whinging.

I am going to try get my hands on a rewritable disc and try various techniques with that rather than chewing through my stack of DVD+R.
Old 6th March 2007, 10:54 AM
boboftheevils Offline

OK, so got home and tried checking all the previous DVDs and CDs I have burnt during the last few months, and it seems the problem is the media after all. I found a blank DVD lying around that was not from the current 100 stack. Burnt an iso to it and lo and behold the disc work perfectly. It seems, on inspection of the coasters, that my NEC was having difficulty reading the lead-in and first track. Why I can mount some manually and other now, is beyond me. And the TSSCorp drive on my Dell at work reads the disks, even in linux (I have a debian partition). So now all I have to to is find something else to do with the 90+ DVDs/coasters-to-be on my desk
Old 6th March 2007, 11:50 AM
Enigma 2100 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboftheevils
I am going to try get my hands on a rewritable disc and try various techniques with that rather than chewing through my stack of DVD+R.
I only ever do my testing with RW for that very reason.

Tags
burning, dvd, strange