Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th February 2007, 11:53 PM
Wayne

Don't forget that if there are updates to mplayer-plugin you'll have to delete mplayerplug-in-rm.so again (and again...)

Wayne
Old 27th February 2007, 11:55 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Thanks guys, will give it a shot tomorrow. It's getting too late to start digging into that stuff now.
Old 27th February 2007, 11:55 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelevellers
My output looks like this:
total 8
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 40 Feb 14 18:50 nphelix.so -> /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Feb 14 18:50 nphelix.xpt -> /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.xpt

Cheers for helping thus far guys... Still can;t get my head around what I've changed that's made it break... (like i said, it WAS working before... :s )
can you copy the url and type 'realplay' in a terminal and paste into File->Open Location
Old 27th February 2007, 11:56 PM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
Thanks guys, will give it a shot tomorrow. It's getting too late to start digging into that stuff now.
Late? It's only a few minutes to 9am. The sun is shining and it's a warm 10 degrees C

Wayne
Old 28th February 2007, 12:20 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool

su -
yum remove totem-mozplugin mozilla-vlc -y
rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in-rm*
rm /usr/lib/mozilla/components/mplayerplug-in-rm*

And you're done.

Last edited by Dies; 28th February 2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 28th February 2007, 12:35 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

OK Dies, you talked me into it....And it worked! I'm listening to the MP3 lecture in Epiphany browser as we speak. Guess I knew better than to install all that crap. I was just getting fed up that nothing was working. I didnt even have MP3 enabled at all, I hate MP3. But...sometimes you just dont have a choice...Thanks.
Old 28th February 2007, 12:38 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

hey, good spot Dies, i didn't know about the /usr/lib/mozilla/components/ directory. Is it new?

Still have to manually remove mplayer real media plugins after an mplayer update though.
Old 28th February 2007, 12:43 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways
hey, good spot Dies, i didn't know about the /usr/lib/mozilla/components/ directory. Is it new?

Still have to manually remove mplayer real media plugins after an mplayer update though.
I don't have that directory. I wonder if it gets created if you install the mplayer-plugin with the rm.so file?

Wayne
Old 28th February 2007, 12:45 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:

When was the last time it got updated? just exclude it in your yum.conf file

[main]
section
exclude=mplayerplug-in
Old 28th February 2007, 12:47 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondonjin
I don't have that directory. I wonder if it gets created if you install the mplayer-plugin with the rm.so file?

Wayne
Your hacked version of the plugin probably just dumps everything into plugins/ but the .xpt files usually go into components/ , not like it matters though.
Old 28th February 2007, 12:51 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondonjin

Wayne
Code:
 rpm -qf /usr/lib/mozilla/components/
mplayerplug-in-3.35-1.lvn6
Old 28th February 2007, 12:54 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies
When was the last time it got updated? just exclude it in your yum.conf file

[main]
section
exclude=mplayerplug-in
that'll exclude all mplayerplug-in updates, not just the real media ones
Old 28th February 2007, 12:59 AM
Dies Offline

Quote:
that'll exclude all mplayerplug-in updates, not just the real media ones
Yeah, so......?

I mean, what difference is it going to make unless new features are added and really when was the last time that happened.

But, to be honest I don't use yum to install mplayer plugin, it's just to easy to install manually and avoid those issues plus if you're worried about being up to date then that's the way to go since there is zero waiting time from release to your browser if that's what you want.
Old 28th February 2007, 01:08 AM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies
Yeah, so......?

I mean, what difference is it going to make unless new features are added and really when was the last time that happened.

But, to be honest I don't use yum to install mplayer plugin, it's just to easy to install manually and avoid those issues plus if you're worried about being up to date then that's the way to go since there is zero waiting time from release to your browser if that's what you want.
I reguarly yum update one of my systems all the time, and I want it to work, which invariably it does.

After some teaching, I just have livna enabled by default as an extra repo.

The real-media plugin of mplayer is rubbish, and I don't want to use it, but the mplayer plugin is great for other formats, and I wanna keep it uptodate as possible.

Old 28th February 2007, 01:12 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

guys, guys...I tend to agree with Dies here and mplayerplugin was excluded before he even posted it. So I dont get it updated in the next 2 months before I install F7. So what? I really dont want all these damn codecs in the first place, they are against my principals. If I need something I will use it but if I can avoid it I will. By all rights I should probably just remove mplayer alltogether.

Tags
lame, realplayer, usual