Trying to install FC6 on an old desktop:

Biostar M7VIG Pro
    Athlon XP 1800
    512M Ram
    Maxtor 160GB IDE
    Toshiba DVD writer

As soon as the computer boots from the install DVD, I get:

isolinux: Disk error 80, AX=4224, drive 9F

I tried the DVD in two other computers, it boots to the install screen on both machines so I don't think it is a bad DVD burn. I have swapped DVD drives, and get the same error on both drives (including the drive I used to burn the disk). I updated the BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version. I get the same error with the DVD set as master or slave on both primary and secondary IDE channels. The hard drive previously had a windows xp install, but all the partition information has been deleted.

Not sure what to try next, any suggestions?

CraigE Guest
    Hi There,

I am gettig the exact same error, anybody ????

)

MDavis0424 Guest
    Not sure what the real problem was, but I ended up having to use a different burner to get it to work. First DVD worked fine in several other computers, but would not work in this machine even with several different drives so it's some quirk with the BIOS .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't make much sense to me but I've read (more than just once) that all DVD burners are not created equal. Disks burned on one may or may not work in others.

It may have to do with the (possibly WAY TOO MANY) formats for DVD burners R, RW, R-W RW+(whatever) single layer dual layer etc, etc, ...
    Mark N.

Perpetual Newbie
    --
    I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

MDavis0424 Guest
    I've had incompatibilities between drives before, but this was really weird. I burned the disk on an old TDK single layer drive. It wouldn't install on the M7VIG box with a new samsung DL drive, so I put in the old TDK drive and still wouldn't install. Same disk worked fine on a second machine using the Samsung drive or the TDK drive, so it's not an issue of the disk being incompatible with the drive. The disk also worked fine in my IBM laptop, so somehow the disk itself was incompatible with the M7VIG BIOS. Never seen that before.

CraigE Guest
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I made a copy of the dvd on a different burner and all is well...

Weird huh !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be of some interest:

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=141395

Switching to a different burner helped in my case too.
    -----------------------
    Registered Linux User #280857
    My homepage
    -----------------------

jkatsis2 Guest

Question Same error but diffrent problems

I am currently receiving the same error "disc error 80, AX = 42AB, drive EF"
    I have previously used this CD in this system so I don't think that is the problem but I'll try to burn a fresh copy and let you know how it goes.

However...

Recently my power supply blew, so I just installed a new one. I first attempted to boot the OS that was still on the hard drive (mythdora 5). I would get through the motherboard start up screens and then get an blinking bar forever. Typically this is where my system would start booting the OS but no such luck.

Is any one else having or have had similar problems? Is it possible my power supply fried my hard drives or, worse yet, my mother board?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

*** update****
    I was able to fedora core 9 live CD to boot successfully although it did show a large amount of errors. I believe it said it updated the kernel, it flew by on the screen pretty fast.

***update****
    I'm happy to say the disc and not my hardware was the problem. If you get this error, try a new disc first before going through other possible problems.
    Last edited by jkatsis2; 10th October 2008 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Disk error 80 AX=4224 drive 9F

I received a similar error while using an AVG recovery boot disk that has worked several times on multiple computers.

Disk error 80, AX = 4226, drive A0

When I google the error, I get forums such as this and not much else.

the disk appears clean and free of scratches or smudges on both sides upon close inspection.

My failed attempt is on an Acer Aspire 5251-1245 OEM.

Does anyone know what this error code means and why I may be getting it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Disk error 80 AX=4224 drive 9F

Quote Originally Posted by jayrugman

Does anyone know what this error code means and why I may be getting it?
    I can't say what it means. But in the past, that cryptic message has been associated with defective disks. I mean optically defective. Such a disk can be pristine and beautiful to the human eye, but crap to the laser that has to get data off it. Try scanning that disk with a utility such as Nero DiskSpeed (it's free) and you might see what I mean. Also, I can personally testify that optical drives vary in their tolerance of marginally crappy disks. I have had them work in one drive but not another. I also can promise that optical drives deteriorate over time. Drives that once produced burns that scanned beautifully can gradually (or suddenly) sort of go over a cliff and start producing poor burns. The same is true for their tolerance of poor disks while reading them (even if the same drive just burned the disk). And then there is the matter of the disks themselves. There are good brands and not-so-good brands. So... I would try burning it again and change something, anything. Try another brand of disk (preferrably a known excellent one). Or another burner. Or, if possible, try another drive to read the disk in the computer with the trouble.

P.S.: Start a new thread next time. This one is ancient. I know it's relevant to the question, but it's just better not to dredge these old things up. But the old posts do one helpful thing in this case... they sort of support what I just said regarding variables in optical quality of disks and optical drives causing things like what you experienced. They kinda said what I just said, but you must not have believed them. You still may not believe it from me.