FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil
    Age
    46
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to Dell Latitude D520 + FC6

    Hello,

    I've recently bought a Dell Latitude D520 laptop and after some struggle I have managed to put it in a usable way with Fedora Core 6 (i386 version).

    In order to avoid other people's suffering, I've decided to write this little how to.

    Main info about my machine:

    cpu: model name: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz

    MemTotal: 505452 kB

    video: 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

    wireless: 0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)

    smbus: 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)

    Kernel tested:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# uname -rm
    2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 i686
    MAIN STEPS

    BIOS preparation: Since this computer does not have a hardware switch to turn on or off the wireless, you should want to disable the hotkey feature from the BIOS, so the wireless stays always on. To do that, simply hit F2 when the computer boots and do a:

    Wireless > Wireless hotkey > none

    Exit and save

    If you don't do it, your wireless will be always off and the only way to turn it on from Fedora is manually, as described below.


    INSTALLING:

    01 - Download the fedora unity's fc6 re-spin version from:

    http://torrent.fedoraunity.org/unity...1.torrent/view

    02 - Install and apply all updates with (as root):
    Code:
    yum update -y
    03 - Reboot

    Your system should be runnig in a standard manner.


    FIX TO SATA DVD/CD DRIVE

    Your SATA DVD/CD will be recognized as an IDE drive and will run terribly slow (because the DMA feature won't be turned on). You won't even be able to watch DVD movies on it.

    More explanation about the issue here:

    01 - To check if your drive was recognized as an IDE drive, type:

    Code:
    ll /dev/cdrom
    It should read something starting with sc and hot hd.

    02 - In order to fix that, edit your menu.lst file (as root):

    Code:
    gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    And add the following to all of your kernel lines: combined_mode=libata

    The result should be something like:

    Code:
    title Fedora Core (2.6.19-1.2911.fc6)
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet combined_mode=libata
    	initrd /initrd-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6.img
    title Fedora Core (2.6.19-1.2895.fc6)
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet combined_mode=libata
    	initrd /initrd-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.img
    03 - Reboot

    04 - Type the ll /dev/cdrom again and check if the drive reads as sc:

    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# ll /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Fev 21 01:17 /dev/cdrom -> scd0
    05 - When you update your kernel to newer versions, try to remove the option mentioned to check if the problem has been solved.


    GETTING WIRELESS TO WORK

    The driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG already comes with FC6. You are just a few steps to get the whole thing up and running.

    01 - Make sure you've prepared the BIOS to let the wireless card always on, as described above.

    02 - Proceed as follows (as root):

    Code:
    yum install -y dkms
    rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
    03 - Manually download these packages from freshrpms:

    http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrp...1-1.noarch.rpm

    http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrp....22-4.i386.rpm

    http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrp...2-1.noarch.rpm


    04 - Go to the folder where you've just downloaded the packages and manually install the three packages (as root):

    Code:
    yum localinstall dkms-ipw3945-1.2.0-1.noarch.rpm ipw3945d-1.7.22-4.i386.rpm ipw3945-firmware-1.13-1.noarch.rpm
    The yum program will automatically download some dependencies from extras and updates.

    PS: If you want to automatically check for ipw3945 updates, but do not want entirely use the freshrpms repo, then you should normally add freshrpms repo to your system, then edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo and add the following line:

    Code:
    includepkgs=*ipw3945*
    This will cause yum to get only the necessary packages from freshrpms and it will maintain your livna setup clean.

    05 - Reboot

    06 - Enable the NetworkManager services:

    Code:
    chkconfig NetworkManager on --level 35
    chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher on --level 35
    07 - Reboot

    08 - Now your NetworkManager icon should be in your workbar and you'll have the option to select the wireless network to connect to. It will ask you to create a keyring and stuff. Just proceed and everything should be working. For me, I had to manually select the type of encryption. Leaving "auto" didn't work at all.

    09 - After creating a default key to unlock the keyring, if you do not want to be asked again to unlock the keyring when you login a new session, proceed like this:

    Code:
    yum install -y pam_keyring
    And add the following lines to your /etc/pam.d/gdm file:

    Code:
    auth optional pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
    session optional pam_keyring.so
    The result should be something like this:

    Code:
    #%PAM-1.0
    auth       required    pam_env.so
    auth optional pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
    auth       include     system-auth
    account    required    pam_nologin.so
    account    include     system-auth
    password   include     system-auth
    session    optional    pam_keyinit.so force revoke
    session    include     system-auth
    session    required    pam_loginuid.so
    session    optional    pam_console.so
    session optional pam_keyring.so
    PS: It works ok if the defined key to unlock the keyring is the same you use as password to login your session. If they are different, then you should read instructions here.


    To manually enable the wireless card (as turn on the wireless switch) (as root):

    Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:0c:00.0/rf_kill
    To manually disable it (as turn off the wireless switch):

    Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:0c:00.0/rf_kill

    There's a script here about getting the wireless running automatically after a hibernate/suspend. I haven't checked it yet.


    ** PS: If you´re running F7, then maybe you should take a look here.



    BERYL WHITE MAXIMIZED BORDERS FIX

    Beryl has worked right away. I didn't have to change anything in xorg.conf file. Just installed it and run beryl-manager.

    The only problem I had was maximized windows. The borders got white. To fix that:

    01 - Install driconf:

    Code:
    yum install -y driconf
    02 - Run driconf as root:

    Code:
    su -
    driconf
    03 - Don't need to change anything. Click Expert Mode and hit "save".

    04 - Now edit the file drirc:

    Code:
    gedit /etc/drirc
    05 - Input the following line in it (<option name="allow_large_textures" value="2" />):

    Code:
    <driconf>
        <device screen="0" driver="i915">
            <application name="all">
    		<option name="allow_large_textures" value="2" />
            </application>
        </device>
    </driconf>
    06 - Exit session and login.

    07 - Maximize any window to see if the white borders went away.

    More info: http://bugs.beryl-project.org/ticket/37

    PS: I set up more memory for the video, but it's not necessary. Edit your xorg.conf file and add "Videoram 28672" (for 28MB) under the "Device" section.


    MPLAYER XV DRIVER/BLUE SCREEN WHEN MOVING FIX

    When I move mplayer or vlc windows, the video stucks (stays at the same place, but running), and I get blue spaces around it.

    The problem seems to be with the xv driver:

    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=147741

    So a workaround is to change the xv driver for the x11 (XShm). Launch mplayer, go to prefrences and go to the "Video" tab. Then under "Video drivers" make sure that "x11 (XShm)" is highlighted. In Xine, open the setup window and click the Video tab. Change the video driver to "xshm", click Apply, and restart Xine. VLC has also a preferences menu under Video to change this. (http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/T...transformed.21).

    The videos become a lot worse with the x11 driver. I'm still looking for a solution to play videos with the xv driver in this computer. Suggestions are welcome. See this thread also. I've tried the 915resolution package but it didn't help.


    THAT'S IT

    Well, if you have any comments, corrections etc., please, post here!

    I don't know how to control the Fn keys in Fedora (change LCD brightness and stuff). If you know, please help!!

    Cheers,
    Duli
    Last edited by Duli; 8th June 2007 at 02:07 PM.

  2. #2
    souptoy Guest
    hey i kinda started your tutorial after having followed some of the ieee80211 instructions and one of them said to remove old 80211 files and then use %make followed by #make install....problem is that it says this now:

    [root@localhost ~]# chkconfig NetworkManger on --level 35
    error reading information on service NetworkManger: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]# chkconfig NetworkMangerDispatcher on --level 35
    error reading information on service NetworkMangerDispatcher: No such file or directory

    the 80211 instructions said the following:
    %tar xzvf ieee*
    %cd ieee*
    %make
    ******ASKS ME TO REMOVE OLD FILES SO I SAID NO****** but then it gives instructions to run %sudo make check_old and answer yes to all prompts....erasing the files...now i dont know what to do besides reimage and start from scratch =[ anyone help?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil
    Age
    46
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by souptoy
    hey i kinda started your tutorial after having followed some of the ieee80211 instructions and one of them said to remove old 80211 files and then use %make followed by #make install....problem is that it says this now:

    [root@localhost ~]# chkconfig NetworkManger on --level 35
    error reading information on service NetworkManger: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]# chkconfig NetworkMangerDispatcher on --level 35
    error reading information on service NetworkMangerDispatcher: No such file or directory

    the 80211 instructions said the following:
    %tar xzvf ieee*
    %cd ieee*
    %make
    ******ASKS ME TO REMOVE OLD FILES SO I SAID NO****** but then it gives instructions to run %sudo make check_old and answer yes to all prompts....erasing the files...now i dont know what to do besides reimage and start from scratch =[ anyone help?
    Hum, sorry.... Can´t help you except by suggesting you do the reimage from scratch and then folow my how-to....

    Duli

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bro the links are broken for the rpm to download... Can you repost...


    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil
    Age
    46
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachai
    Hey Bro the links are broken for the rpm to download... Can you repost...


    Thanks
    Okay, just did it. They´re working again.

    Tks
    Duli

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duli
    Okay, just did it. They´re working again.

    Tks
    Duli

    Thank you for the update. I was wondering since I'm using KDE, and I know that Networkmanager does not work on that... What other can I use to detect wifi connection?

    NetworkManagerDispatch is the icon I believe that shows up on the toolbar.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil
    Age
    46
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't work on KDE??? I didn't know that... In that case, maybe you could try to use the command line..

    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# iw
    iwconfig  iwevent   iwgetid   iwlist    iwpriv    iwspy
    Sorry I can't be of anymore help!!! :-(

    Duli

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil
    Age
    46
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachai
    Thank you for the update. I was wondering since I'm using KDE, and I know that Networkmanager does not work on that... What other can I use to detect wifi connection?

    NetworkManagerDispatch is the icon I believe that shows up on the toolbar.
    Hello, have you tried out knetworkmanager?

    Code:
    [duli@localhost ~]$ yum info knetworkmanager
    Loading "installonlyn" plugin
    Installed Packages
    Name   : knetworkmanager
    Arch   : i386
    Version: 0.1
    Release: 0.9.svn20070409.fc7
    Size   : 890 k
    Repo   : installed
    Summary: KDE applet for Network Manager
    
    Description:
    KNetworkManager is a system tray applet for controlling network
    connections on systems that use the NetworkManager daemon.
    I think it does the same in KDE.

    Duli

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I followed these instructions precisely on a fresh FC6 install from start to finish. The wireless setup is the only place I had a problem:

    Everything looks good except that when I try to connect to the wireless network, I select the SSID and the encryption type (WPA) and choose the correct encryption (TKIP) and i type the PSK and it keeps coming back to the password prompt. I am freaking positive I have typed the passphrase correctly. I even logged into my windows partion and deleted the network and re-typed the key to make sure.

    Anybody have this problem and know of a possible solution?

    Inspiron e1505
    3945abg
    2.6.20-1.2952.fc6
    dkms-ipw3945-1.2.1-1.noarch.rpm
    ipw3945-firmware-1.14.2-1.noarch.rpm
    ipw3945d-1.7.22-4.i386.rpm

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil
    Age
    46
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SideshowMel
    I followed these instructions precisely on a fresh FC6 install from start to finish. The wireless setup is the only place I had a problem:

    Everything looks good except that when I try to connect to the wireless network, I select the SSID and the encryption type (WPA) and choose the correct encryption (TKIP) and i type the PSK and it keeps coming back to the password prompt. I am freaking positive I have typed the passphrase correctly. I even logged into my windows partion and deleted the network and re-typed the key to make sure.

    Anybody have this problem and know of a possible solution?

    Inspiron e1505
    3945abg
    2.6.20-1.2952.fc6
    dkms-ipw3945-1.2.1-1.noarch.rpm
    ipw3945-firmware-1.14.2-1.noarch.rpm
    ipw3945d-1.7.22-4.i386.rpm

    Thanks.
    Pretty trick, uh?! The same thing happens to me sometimes, but after a few entries, it connects. It asks for the password two or three times, but eventually it goes.

    I don´t really know how to help you...

    Maybe you could try to upgrade to F7. It is supposed to natively support the ipw39445 chipset.

    duli

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already tried Fedora 7 and had so many problems... got any suggestions?

    I noticed when I posted the thread below that my wireless card on there says 3945ULD, but the shipping inventory sheet and the hardware manager in Windoze both say it's a 3945ABG. Are they the same?

    Here's my post:

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...220#post811220

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also mention that I tried retyping the passphrase SO MANY times. At one point (and only once) it asked me to create a keyring, which I did, but I set a password different from the WPA passphrase. This was before I noticed your little thing saying to make it the same. So I guess, how do I delete that keyring and start over?

    Also, I should mention that even unprotected wi-fi networks that work under Windows don't even work, even though the card sees them and everything, they just never connect.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I connected to an unprotected netwrok all of a sudden, and I was very surprised.

    I still couldn't connect to the WPA network, so I on a whim, I just went into the Network Configuration...

    I had to create a device profile for the wireless card in the Network Configuration and bingo!

    Even after doing that, the passkey authentication is spotty. I sometimes have to type the passphrase several times before it will work.

    So I created a keyring and set the password to be the same as the wifi passphrase, but it still asks (perhaps because I, as well, have to manually select TKIP) for the keyring password.

    Is there any way you know of to make it just automatically try to keep reconnecting every minute or two after boot-up and assume that any valid local user is allowed access to the wifi network? Or should I just count my blessings and move back to trying to get Fedora 7 working?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sao Paulo, SP - Brazil
    Age
    46
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SideshowMel: The only thing I can tell you by now is I never had to mess with the network settings. When I did that, it would go wrong. The only relevant parts for me was really getting the appropriate rpms and then starting networkmanager... Anything else...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29th June 2008, 05:44 PM
  2. Dell Latitude 830 & FC5
    By peers in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12th August 2007, 01:03 AM
  3. wireless on dell latitude d520 fedora 7
    By frenzy in forum Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd August 2007, 10:07 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th April 2007, 06:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •