Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th February 2007, 09:07 AM
gdanko619 Offline

G5 will not boot after FC6 install

I have a PowerMac dual 2.0 G5 that I have installed FC6 to. However, when I boot the machine there is a menu with 3 or so boot items (cdrom, network, etc).. But the system throws me into Open Firmware. From there I get the message "type mac-boot" to continue but the keyboard no longer boots.

Configuration is: 1.5 GB RAM, sda is a 120 GB sata drive, sdb is a 160 GB sata drive. Partitions laid out as follows:

sda2 = AppleBoot
sda3 = /
sda4 = 4 GB swap (plan to add more RAM)
sdb2 = /home

Am I missing something here? Do I need to do something fancy in the installer?
Old 20th February 2007, 07:24 PM
Prime OS Offline

Hello,

I'm not sure if that helps. But in my FC6 installation (G4/Gigabit) I noticed that anaconda did not configure the boot menu properly (I don't know if they're doin' it with yabootconf). However, take a look at the '/etc/yaboot.conf' file to see if your bootloader is configured properly. Maybe you need to modify 'yaboot.conf' and your CHRP script (magic boot script) and re-install it afterwards with the 'ybin' command into your apple bootstrap partition. Be careful to point to the correct partitions. Check in the open firmware the nvram setting with the command 'printenv' and use 'dev / ls' to verify your hardware config.

ups, I forgot, you need of course a LIVE-CD to boot into LINUX and modify these files !

Last edited by Prime OS; 20th February 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 20th February 2007, 07:46 PM
gdanko Offline

Prime, thank you for replying. I was able to get it to work and will be posting a complete G5 FC6 HOWTO on both this forum and the forum and linuxquestions.org.

Tags
boot, fc6, install