Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th February 2007, 12:00 AM
vbdanl Offline

Unhappy can't play music videos from website

Hi. I have been struggling with getting linux to play music video's from www.kzsn.com - a local radio station. they have 1000's of music videos, all genres. when i used to have xp, it would play them, and my old win98 can play them also.

I have downloaded all kinds of players and win32 codecs - so far no luck. I can play various kinds of music videos and mp3's that i have downloaded from the net to my pc, and they all play fine (from the HD, not the internet).

I am using gnome and firefox. i also tried kde and didn't have any luck with it.
so, that's it in a nutshell - can you tell me how i can get music video's from kzsn to play on my linux box ?

i know i can type "aboutlugins" on my browser, and it will list the plugins i have installed. are there other commands i could type on a terminal or apps i could look at that would also give me that info?

I was thinking if I could compare what I have installed to what someone else has installed (and their's works), then maybe that could lead me to what i need to install.. ??
Old 9th February 2007, 06:05 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

What kind of videos are they? I did not see any when I visited the page. Does not firefox ask to download the plugin? Perhaps it is Windows only plugin.

Netbook: Acer Aspire One A150
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz, 1.5 GB DDR2 PC2-4200, Intel Graphics (8MB?), 160GB Seagate HDD
Fedora 15 i686
Old 9th February 2007, 06:19 AM
Wayne

Yawn! It says right there on their page that if you're using Linux you need to install the mplayer-plugin:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayer...1.fc5.i386.rpm

Wayne
Old 9th February 2007, 06:36 AM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

You are right Wayne, it says it here http://www.kzsn.com/pages/stream.html

Netbook: Acer Aspire One A150
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz, 1.5 GB DDR2 PC2-4200, Intel Graphics (8MB?), 160GB Seagate HDD
Fedora 15 i686
Old 9th February 2007, 06:57 AM
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.pelayo
You are right Wayne, it says it here http://www.kzsn.com/pages/stream.html

That's two of us that can read!

Actually, I wasn't looking for any info, I just clicked on the 'Listen Now' link and it was right there!

Wayne
Old 9th February 2007, 02:52 PM
vbdanl Offline

Mercy.. or maybe merci.. i installed the mplayer plugin eons ago.. but glad to see everyone can read. actually, last night around 1am i finally found a way to get it to work. i was comparing the plugins from the pc that wouldn't work to one that does play them. all the plugins were the same. found a config file in .mplayer had some different values. vi'd the file to make it the same, but it still wouldn't play them, but at least the mplayer window was staying on the screen as a black window, not gray. then i was getting a "can't open something -vo" error. googled that error and found to right click the black window, and try various video settings - did that, and it worked!
Will need to play with it some more. the first video i was watching, it appeared the words i was hearing weren't going with the video.. strange, but i never could match the words to the lips.. it was around 130am by then, and i wasn't seeing too good.. might have been part of the problem..
anyway, thanks for your posts.
I was wondering if there is a way to get the video to play in the window that appears on the screen instead of the new mplayer window ?

Tags
music, play, videos, website