Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th February 2007, 03:02 PM
Fyreheart Offline

VPS FC2 upgrade to FC3 issue

Hi Guys,

I have no idea if this is the right forum, I've never had to deal with Fedora before so please go easy. I've recently taken over administration of a website which resides on a VPS running FC2. The guys who own said website would like me to install the lastest vBulletin, so in "blonde" moment I decided I'd upgrade FC2 to FC3 then follow up with an upgrade of mysql!

Anyway, I went ahead and installed yum and followed the directions from http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upg..._with_yum.html. All went well until I came upto the final "upgrade yum" command...at which point yum churns through a whole bunch of stuff but ends with this error

Code:
--> Processing Conflict: udev conflicts kernel< 0:2.6
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 8, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 104, in main
    (result, resultmsgs) = base.buildTransaction()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 174, in buildTransaction
    (rescode, restring) = self.resolveDeps()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 190, in resolveDeps
    (checkdep, missing, conflict, errormsgs) = self._processConflict(dep)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 492, in _processConflict
    uplist = self.up.getUpdatesList(name=confname)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'confname' referenced before assignment
Now as I said earlier I'm very new to linux, I've done a search round the web and a few other places but haven't managed to solve the problem. Can anyone here assist. Sorry if you guys need more info, am not sure what helps and what doesn't.
Old 8th February 2007, 12:05 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I'm not a programmer, but I can tell you that Fedora 4 and before have been removed from active and legacy status. That means that updates are no longer available for programs and that yum has no way to satisfy dependencies. Perhaps someone will be able to give you a workaround, but is there any way you can install FC6, the current version?

Also, since this is a server and probably not going to be regularly updated, please consider using CentOS, which is essentially a free version of Red Hat and which will be maintained for much longer periods.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Tags
fc2, fc3, upgrade, vps