Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th January 2007, 06:26 PM
darkwings616 Offline

Im Obviously an Idiot...FC6 Wireless

Well im fairly new to linux, i started using FC5 and got the hang of it, so i moved to FC6 and loved it. in both flavors i got everything i needed to work, except for wireless internet with my native card. Im using dell inspiron 600m laptop, and FC6 reconizes my wireless card as Broadcom Corporation BCM4306. now before you flame me for this topic, because as i see it is an issue, i did search my eyes off for months to try and figure it out. i kept hearing about ndiswrapper but if i install it there is always a problem, the main one i had with FC6 is that it kept trying to re-download the kernel and i always had the latest version. can someone please help me out, even if its step by step, or just pointing me to the right forum? is there anyway i can use the card without using a diffrent program than the network manager?
Old 16th January 2007, 07:11 PM
Quella Offline

I would recommend you look at a commercial product that is easy to install and I think $19.00USD to buy. You can get a trial 30 day license to try the product out at no cost. I do not work for the company, buy I was a happy customer for a few years until I ran a hard-wire back to my box. The company is linuxant at www.linuxant.com, and you want to look at a product called driverloader. If you install this, I would put a exclude in your yum.conf to not install the newest kernels by default. Linuxant provides the necessary kernels and other tools to get things going quickly. There tech support is also top of the line. I would give this a try if you are having issues with ndswrapers.

Quella
Old 16th January 2007, 08:00 PM
darkwings616 Offline

but am i risking to lose my money, is there a garantee that it will work?
Old 16th January 2007, 08:55 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

check to see if you have the correct kernel installed. See http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=139751 Anaconda installs the 586 kernel on some 686 machines and this causes problems with updates and installations. If your machine is x86 and you installed the i386 version of FC6 you most likely need the 686 kernel and may have been given the 586.

EDIT: If on the other hand you are running 64 bit version, disregard this message

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 16th January 2007, 09:12 PM
Quella Offline

The product has a 30 day free trial. You can try before you buy. No risk.

Quella
Old 16th January 2007, 09:52 PM
darkwings616 Offline

well i used the 30 free trial, and well it does work that im very happy about. although (fussy me) i dont like to pay for stuff im goin to try to get ndiswrapper to work, but if it dosent well then ill pay the 20 bux and use this program because it does work like a charm.
Old 16th January 2007, 09:57 PM
darkwings616 Offline

oh, i just found out i was using i586, thank you. i corrected the problem.

Tags
idiotfc6, wireless