Hi. I am a newbie to linux, so I apologize in advance for what probably seem like stupid questions.. I am hoping this OS will do everything we used to do with Windows XP, without all the run around MS puts a guy through.. I had to replace my motherboard on this emachine, and in doing so, the windows xp restore cd's wouldn't load. The computer shop offered to load windows for me for a small fortune.. Thats why I opted to try FC6.
So far I am really excited about what I am seeing.
I was trying to follow the install help guide for fc6, but I couldn't get the ethernet port to recognize, so it wouldn't let me change the package selections. I finally got it to boot by adding a "mode" line to the xorg.conf file.
1. How should I get the options I originally wanted during install, ie. desktop environment, graphical internet, sound and video, development, server tools, windows file server, legacy software support, etc. ?
2. t now comes up to black login screen during bootup. I have to alt-f7 or f8 to get to the fedora user login screen. Do I need to change the runlevel to get it to come up to the user screen automatically?
3. Will I be able to read data CD's created with windows XP into folders in FC6 that all users can access, like pictures, music, documents ?
4. I have a 2wire SBC modem that has 1 ethernet, 1 usb, and 1 or more wireless connections. With the XP system, I was able to connect with any of the 3. With my windows 98 computer and now the linux computer, I have only been able to connect to the internet using the ethernet connection (so we can't get more than one computer on the internet at a time, and then only by manually connecting the ethernet cable to the desired computer). I expect linux can handle it, but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. any ideas?
5. The new motherboard came with a drivers and utilities CD for VIA chipset mainboard the guy at the store said I would need to install after installing windows. Do I still need to install it, and if so, how ? (it is not a bootable cd, but is a auto installation cd)
6. The icon in the upper right says there are 176 updates available. Should I install them all ? how do I know which to install or not install? should this feature be turned off?
finally, i know how to use vi, gedit, etc. don't know much about the kernal or OS stuff. If you point me to a link that explains how to do these things, I will be most grateful.