Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

View Poll Results: What do you think of my posted question? How well do I state the problem?
The question provides solid, thorough information that is helpful in providing an answer. 0 0%
The question is obscure or incomprehensible. 0 0%
The question has redundant information and/or is too long. Shorten it. 0 0%
I understand the question, but simply don't have enough knowledge or information to answer it. 0 0%
I don't have enough knowledge of Linux to answer the question. 0 0%
The question is too specific about Asterisk and this is irrelevant. 0 0%
The problem stated is a well-known problem. 0 0%
I am familiar with the Asterisk program. 0 0%
I have encountered a problem similar to that in this thread. 0 0%
The question was stated well. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th January 2007, 12:21 AM
MarkE Offline

Unhappy Make error in library-linking: relocation R_X86_64_32

Hello,
I am trying to compile Asterisk on Fedora Core 6 64-bit. However, when I run make, it fails at a certain file because a certain static library can't link to make a dynamic library or something like that. The output is shown below. I have found many descriptions of related errors on the Internet that indicate that this has to do with 64-bit differences.
This was never a problem on Fedora Core 5. I was able to compile asterisk-1.4.0-beta3, but now after upgrading, I can compile neither asterisk-1.4.0-beta3 or the upgraded version 1.4.0.

Here is the output from running "make" a second time (which skips right to the error):

Code:
$ make
menuselect/menuselect --check-deps   menuselect.makeopts
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
   [LD] func_curl.o -> func_curl.so
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.1/../../../../lib64/libidn.a(toutf8.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.1/../../../../lib64/libidn.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [func_curl.so] Error 1
make: *** [funcs] Error 2
I checked, and this file exists: /usr/lib64/libidn.a
Also, libidn can be installed/uninstalled by yum. If I uninstall libidn, then the same make procedure as shown above fails due to libcurl instead. The yum package "curl" is dependent on libidn, so there is certainly something fishy with the libraries.

I don't think this is an asterisk problem itself, but is probably related to some misconfiguration of the libraries in Linux. I just don't know what to do. I have the compiled-installed beta version remaining from when I had Fedora Core 5, and won't remove it unless I know I can re-install asterisk again. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Last edited by MarkE; 8th January 2007 at 12:40 AM.

Tags
error, librarylinking, make, relocation