Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:11 AM
CAlan Offline

Wow, Linux has come a long way, and a samba question..

I tired linux about 7 years ago. I installed suse on my windows box, and tied to configure it and get it running. I had a lot of trouble with the configuration, and It never did seem to run the way I wanted it to.

Fast forward to last week. I ditched my windows box a few months ago in favor of an Imac. I am a civil engineer by trade, so I have Parallels installed on my Imac for the simple purpose of running Autocad Land Desktop. I need that program to access a bunch of old job files from the days when I did consulting work. My old windows box had been sitting in the garage gathering dust for a couple of months when I got the bright Idea of putting Linux on it inorder to run a file server, and to run a webserver.

The difference in installing and configuring Linux (Fedora 6) is ALOT better than it was 7 years ago. It has been three days since I started the project, and It has only taken me about 8 hours total to get samba and apache configured and up and running. My experience with Fedora has for the most part been positive.

So on to my question: I am having an issue with file permissions on my Samba Shares. I have set up Samba with one common share I call TRONSERVER. If user 'A' creates a folder on TRONSERVER, user 'B' can browse this folder and files, but is not able to manipulate files for folders in the directory. I am finding that any new files or directories created by my users are being restricted to the users that created them. I would like it be set up such that all files, and directories created by any Samba user on TRONSERVER can be edited by any other Samba user. My config file for this share reads as follows:

Code:
[TronServer]
	path = /usr/TronServer
	writeable = yes
	browseable = yes
	guest ok = yes
I have 2 different computers in the house, with about half a dozen different user accounts on my network. For each user account, I have made a corrosponding Linux account, and samba account. I then took all those user accounts and made a 'SambaUser' user group on my Linux box.

Could my problem be caused by my SElinux setup?

One last question, for all the files I have already moved to TRONSERVER, now can I change the permissions to allow all members of Samba Users group to edit all files and sub-directories?

Thanks,
C. Alan

Last edited by CAlan; 2nd January 2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:34 AM
Dies Offline

Try something like this:
Code:
path = /usr/TronServer
        read only = no
	writeable = yes
        write list = < list of users - comma separated>
        force group = SambaUser
	browseable = yes
	guest ok = yes
You may also want a valid users = type of line in there.

Last edited by Dies; 2nd January 2007 at 12:36 AM.
Old 2nd January 2007, 02:39 AM
CAlan Offline

It appears to have worked with new files. I can write files with one user, and delete the file with another. Now I just need to figure out how to use changmod to fix the file permissions of the files already on the server.
--C. alan
Old 2nd January 2007, 02:50 AM
Dies Offline

su
cd /usr/
chgrp -R SambaUser TronServer/
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:12 AM
CAlan Offline

Well shoot, I thought I had this problem licked.

Here is a little more background on what I am doing. I am taking files from an old external HD, and transfering them to my server via my Imac. Even with read only marked no, I am getting my SambaUsers Group access being written as read only.

Thanks for the change group command, it did the trick for the existing files.
Old 2nd January 2007, 04:59 AM
Dies Offline

If everything else works the way you want it then just finish transferring the files and do a

su
cd /usr/
chmod -R 774 TronServer/
Old 2nd January 2007, 05:07 AM
CAlan Offline

I think I figured it out.
I added the following lines to my share definition:

force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0660

What this does is it forces all files and directories created by samba to have read - write permisions for the owner, and group.

Tags
linux, long, question, samba, wow