Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st December 2006, 08:50 PM
pengyou12345 Offline

protect my home directory in FC4

I want to protect my home directory with a password to prevent to enter , even for rthe oot superuser
Does the FC4 has the function to achieve it? If yes, please inform me how to do it.
Thank you in advance
Old 21st December 2006, 09:21 PM
paul matthijsse Offline

as far as I know FC4-5-6 or any other Linux distro has no function to block root's access to certain dirs. would be an unwise thing anyway. perhaps you can try to encrypt your home dir...
Old 21st December 2006, 09:50 PM
irie111 Offline

Yeah... I'm thinking a third party file/folder encryption application is going to be your best bet... This way root could only delete the files in your home folder, but could not view them without an addition password to un-encrypt with... Try and Google for a program that would suit your need... As far as I know, there is no way to prevent root from doing basically anything on a Linux system... After all, root is equivalent to GOD in Linux...
irie111

Tags
directory, fc4, home, protect