Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th December 2006, 05:31 PM
fvs Offline

New Build

Need some advise for a new build,
I'm really considering the price and need to stay within my budget which is around $350
for the whole box,so far this is what I have been considering.
BOXD946GZISSL $84.99
corsair VS1GBKIT533D2 $105.99
Nic TEG-PCITXR $13.99
CPU BX80551PE2666FN $93.00
Foxcon ATX mid tower $31.99

I'm running FC5 and Suse 10.2 right now and I don't know if I even need dual core, I do like to be up to date with this build, need some more input.
Old 19th December 2006, 05:46 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

It would have helped if you had given more info on your parts or at least linked to newegg.

For a big bang low buck PC I use the following formula:

case - the cheapest mid-tower I can find. I have had great luck with Rosewill. I also look for one with an included PSU, the whole package around $30

PSU- I do a big no-no here. Considering the cheap price of these computers I use the cheap included PSU and watch it fry itself usually within the first year. So far I have fried 3 with NO damage to the computer, they simply flake out or wont power up. Then I buy a GOOD Antec 450+ W. Be warned though that you COULD fry your whole PC doing this.

CPU- AMD Sempron or Athlon 2800-3200 or even better depending on stock and price. It wont be dual core but it is a great 64 bit CPU. look for socket 939 boards (unless the AM2's are prevalient in these low buck cpu's now). usually right around $100

MOBO- the cheapest I can get away with, I have used Gigabyte, Asus and PCChips and they are all still running flawlessly. usually around $50. If you have an old GPU laying around use it, if not:

GPU - whatever works, they can be had for $20. I usually go around $100 though for a fairly recent one.

RAM - Kingston! Cheaper than Corsair and just as reliable. I wont build a PC with less than 1GB now.

HD - I like WD, at least 80GB which seems to be the sweet spot, though the 160GB isnt much more these days.

You probably have about $400 right here, maybe a tad under. You will also need a Lite-on DVD burner for around $40. This is the way I would go anyway, I have built 8 computers following this basic formula and they are all runners. modestly fast, good RAM, good storage, DVD burner...probably the most bang for your buck and open for later upgrades.
Old 19th December 2006, 06:07 PM
techmatt Offline

Well not sure how new the components will be this way but get a decant computer for really cheap.

Go to 30 to 40 yard/garage sales pick up the towers and any parts they might have available peace them together to build the best system you can. I have built about 40 computers this way and never spent more than $100 US then turn around and sell them with no OS for about $200 ( I do load Windows If they buy it somewhere and I always offer Linux)

If you do this method run every burn in test from the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from www.ultimatebootcd.com. This also has memtest86 which is always a good idea to run with used hardware.

I do normally buy my RAM separate. At least 512MB, although the more the better.

Registered Linux user number 433760
Old 19th December 2006, 06:16 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmatt
Well not sure how new the components will be this way but get a decant computer for really cheap.

Go to 30 to 40 yard/garage sales pick up the towers and any parts they might have available peace them together to build the best system you can. I have built about 40 computers this way and never spent more than $100 US then turn around and sell them with no OS for about $200 ( I do load Windows If they buy it somewhere and I always offer Linux)

If you do this method run every burn in test from the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from www.ultimatebootcd.com. This also has memtest86 which is always a good idea to run with used hardware.

I do normally buy my RAM separate. At least 512MB, although the more the better.

yes, very wise advice. I do this also, you would be amazed what you can pick up for $10-$20! This is a great way to buy the case, the CD maybe even a DVD if youre lucky, a floppy, could strike it rich on a good name brand PSU (remember, you only really NEED 300-350W to run your system, and maybe even some decent RAM. Unless you found something within a year or two old I would buy the mobo and CPU but hey, salvage what you can. Instead of 1 80GB new drive, why not 3 30GB used drives?
Old 19th December 2006, 07:47 PM
techmatt Offline

I once even found a P4 1.5GHz PC Chips bord with 512MB DDR 400 for 15 Dollars

Edit: The city clean up days here (when every body troughs out there old junk and the city picks it up free) are a nother grate way to get parts.

I know I'm a cheap skate

Registered Linux user number 433760

Last edited by techmatt; 19th December 2006 at 08:58 PM. Reason: More Info

Tags
build