Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th December 2006, 09:59 PM
david101 Offline

xgl/fglrx works...but not quite

ok firstly i would like to say thanks for all the peopel who put the effort into making the tutorials which got me as far as i am, because honestly i wouldn't have known whjere to begin (i just got on linux a few days ago after installing it a month ago, but was too busy with school).

anywasd, i installed fglrx and everything seemed fine..then xgl and everything seemed fine..until i started noticing differences which i don't think should be happening (i think xgl needs 3d acceleratino to run, if i'm not mistaken, but it seems as if it's not running)

here is a list of the differenced when disabling xgl, and when having it enabled (with fglrx running)

note: i'm running a radeon 9500, amd 2500+ and 512 ram on fedora core 6

WITHOUT XGL
-resizing windows is prety much instant, showing no lag
-fglrxinfo gives
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9500 Generic
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6174 (8.31.5)

-glxinfo | grep direct says direct rendering is enabled
-glxgears and fgl_glxgears both give around 500 fps (whcih i think is low)
-when i laod of soemthing like firefox, the blue bordered boxes originating form the shortcut move fast and show almost no lag
-enemy territory plays well, and plays in fullscreen

basically, everything seems ok EXCEPT glxgears and fgl_gears are running low, but who cares i guess..lol

WITH XGL
-all fancy stuff works without lag..raindrops may seem to lag just a tiny bit but everything is basically ok
-when i try to resized a window, it lags bad, and takes about 2 seconds to resize it (not fancy resizing just normal resizing)
-glxinfo | grep direct gives:
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No

-fglrxinfo gives:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9500 Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (2.0.6174 (8.31.5))

-glxgears also complains about xlib (Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".) but still runs and gives 6000fps instead (big jump from 500)
-fgl_glxgears doesnt run and says:
Error: couldn't get fbconfig

-loading of firefox lags...you can see the blue box things going kinda slowly away
-enemy territory does NOT play in fullscreen..plays in a windowed mode and plays kinda laggy (but still playable)

when i'm using xgl this is the logfile it used in /var/log (it doesnt use xorg.0.log, the date and times don't match) Xorg.93.log

when im NOT using xgl it uses Xorg.0.log

i'm using this xorg.conf

NOTE: i've tried lots of editing in the xorg.conf file, so i'm open to suggestions but i tried a bunch with no success

now it doesn't seem like anything is really wrong with the logfiles (unless soemthing cahnged from 1 hour ago) yet with xgl it seems direct rendering works for only parts of the system, even though the logfile states that everything is good (that it is enabled etc). glxgears works betetr than with non-xgl, but non-xgl glxgears gives 5500 less fps

i'm thinking it has soemthing to do with this lien in the logfiles:

(II) Loading local sub module "GLcore"
(II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
(II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
(II) GLX: Initialized MESA-PROXY GL provider for screen 0

because i'm running fglrx and ati's opengl stuff, why is it loading mesa?

sorry for this being so long i just wanted to give as much info as possible. if anyone has suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks,
David
Old 21st December 2006, 12:06 PM
Lexe Offline

I have the exact same problem ...

I've been trying to get this work for over 2 weeks now, i'm getting pretty desperate
I tried reinstalling various drivers but only the fglrx drivers from ati seem to work. (installed with --buildpkg Fedora/FC6)
I also tried various edits of my xorg.conf just like you did but nothing i tried seems to work.

Also, when i run glxinfo, my machine returns: "Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"."
But i'm running Xorg not XFree, why is it asking for XFree?

my system:
Acer aspire 1694WLMI
2.0 intel centrino cpu
ATI x700 mobility graphics (256mb)
1024mb DDR2 ram

Any help would be appreciated a lot

thx,
Lexe

Last edited by Lexe; 21st December 2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 21st December 2006, 04:06 PM
skoona Offline

David,
I am about to try this over the Christmas holiday. Did you try using the stock "radeon" driver? I was able to make significant progress getting my thinkpad t30 (ati7500) to work with AIGLX, and I was planning to attempt XGL using the radeon driver versus fglrx.

I do know this: no one has reported getting AIGLX or XGL working with the ATI fglrx driver. All reports, I've seen, are with the standard linux radeon driver.

Note: I'm gonna try a ATI 9600SE/128MB on FC5 first, then FC6. I'm going for AIGLX and will attempt to fallback to XGL if AIGLX doesn't work.

As far as you have made it, the radeon driver maybe all you need to do. Congrats...
:cool:Registered Linux User #270764
Folding@home Team: 37988 FedoraFolders
Author: GFHCM Folding@Home Monitor
Author: GapcMon - UPS Status Monitor
Contributor: GIW - Gtk Instrumentation Library
Old 24th December 2006, 12:37 AM
david101 Offline

ahh i see, i thought it was just fglrx/aiglx which was an issue and not with xgl..oh well i'll try again anotehr time and just use the radeon driver :P

i guess it doesn't really matter since i won't be playing too many games anyways..i'll try again in the summertime maybe and hopefully ati/amd updates their drivers

Tags
worksbut, xgl or fglrx