Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd December 2006, 06:15 AM
akalbfell Offline

Easy Questions-Need Help

Going to group these together into 1 post because i am sure the answers are easy for most...Recent switch to Fedora 6...How do i do the following..

1) If i open the "Computer" icon on the desktop, i want to have an icon for a newly added partition. this partition is /dev/hdb3 and the mount point is /mnt/Fat...how do i add that?

2) Whenever i open a new folder it keeps the folder i was just in open and opens a new window. how do i change it so it keeps the same window open and just goes into the selected folder? like how windows does it by default...

3) I use TightVNC Viewer to connect from my XP laptop to my Fedora box...I have to log into the OS to connect from the XP laptop. If Fedora is sitting at the login prompt i cant connect. I tried setting the VNCServer daemon to run at startup but that didnt do it...
Old 2nd December 2006, 10:12 PM
akalbfell Offline

no answers anyone?
Old 2nd December 2006, 10:22 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

I am not using gnome, but I'll take a stab.
1) I would think the newly mounted device should show up automatically (unless it's a permissions problem, someone else will have to address that).
2) There should be a preferences option in the file menu (don't know if you're using nautilus or what)
For nautilus, click on edit->prefs->behavior and check always open in browser windows. Close and reopen nautilus and give it a try.
3) I have no idea

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 3rd December 2006, 03:27 AM
pdb Offline

How do you have the vncserver configured? The easiest way to get it going is to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers to tell it what VNC sessions you want available. Mine looks like
Code:
VNCSERVERS="2:pdb"
VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 800x600"
VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1024x768"
That gives me a vnc session on display 2 (port 5902) at 1024x768.

To get the service to start automatically, use chkconfig to set it to come on when you go into run levels 3-5, and use the service command to bring it up now.

I hope that points you in the right direction!

Tags
easy, questionsneed