Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th November 2006, 12:25 AM
plazman30 Offline

Moving an HD from one computer to another

I had a very old PC that was running FC3 on it. The PC died, but the HD seems to be OK. I took the HD and I moved it into another PC and tried to boot it. The HD started to boot as expected and Kudzu kicked off to reconfigure hardware. It prompted to remove a ton of stuff and add a new NIC.

But somewhere in the middle of this process Kudzu quits out of memory and the machines locks up. The last line I see is that it mounted the swap space.

I figured I could just put a new HD in the machine, install FC6 and mount the old HD and copy the data off, but I have a number of mySQL databases on the box and I don't know how to get those things off the box.

The HD is a 40GB HD. I'd be willing to clone the HD if there was a way to do that, and see if that helps the problem.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
Old 30th November 2006, 12:48 AM
AlexThomson_NZ Offline

I think the safest, probably easiest way would be to back up the important bits and re-format.

To export an sql database...

Code:
mysqldump -u username -ppassword database_name > FILE.sql
To import it again...

Code:
mysql -u username -ppassword database_name < FILE.sql

Last edited by AlexThomson_NZ; 30th November 2006 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Put it code tags
Old 30th November 2006, 01:00 AM
Brian1 Offline

It would be easier to install a fresh install and then mount the 40gig as a slave drive. Then copy off the data as described above.

One thing you may and probably need to do if you stay with a Redhat or Redhat clone like Fedora. Edit /etc/fstab file on the new install and change all LABEL= stuff to true device blocks like /dev/hda1. You can get the true device block for LABEL= from /etc/mtab. Now install the 40gig as a slave and mount it. While your at it edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and modify the LABEL item as well.

Brian
Old 1st December 2006, 08:51 PM
plazman30 Offline

Here's what I did.

I booted the machine one last time. I aborted kudzu and the machine loaded up just fine, but had no network. I changed the runlevel to 3, rebooted again and again aborted kudzu. I then logged in as root and ran kudzu by hand.

kudzu went along and removed a ton of hardware and then added a ton of hardware. The machine then came up clean, and I have been using it since then without any issues.

I do plan to upgrade it to FC6 sometime in the not too distant future. All I really need to back up is the MySQL database for Gallery and my Maildir folders.

Andy
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:41 PM
Brian1 Offline

Glad to see you have it going. I will make of note of that if a major hardware change comes along.

Brian

Tags
moving