Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th November 2006, 10:55 PM
ToddEichel Offline

New FC6 install

Hi all, I'm a Fedora (and linux, for that matter) noob, just installed FC6, install went fine, first log in found 160-something updates, ran that, those all completed fine, rebooted, and now the kernel won't load.

So here's some specifics:

Older box:
Dual P-III 550 MHz
512 MB RAM
13 GB IDE HD
IDE CD-RW
Intel 10/100 NIC
and that's about it, pretty old system.

Downloaded FC6 x86 to CD, verified all check-sums for the iso files. Install was more or less generic, with the exception of changing some of the volume names and sizes, added a separate volume for /home, so in additon to the boot partition, I've got a partition called "main", with a "/root" volume (8 GB), a swap volume (1 GB) and a "/home" volume (2 GB). Anyway, as I said, the install goes fine, I can log in and do whatever I want, it finds all the package updates, downloads and installs them, then requests an update. On boot, I get to a line that says "Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel" and it locks up there. If I go into GRUB on boot, there are now two kernels listed, 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 first, and 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 second. If I change it to the previous version (prior to updates, I'm assuming), it boots fine and everything seems to work and it's not able to find any packages that need to be updated now.

Any help would be appreciated. Obviously, I could just remove that kernel from GRUB, but I'd rather try to fix it.

Thanks.
Old 30th November 2006, 09:13 PM
tbl Offline

Hi,
Just forget your old kernel. Keep all what you have in grub.conf. and just boot off the new kernel.
Deps have been updated according to the new kernel.
Old 30th November 2006, 09:34 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

did you fix the i586 kernel bug before you updated? I dont think that would cause panic though unless some kernel dependent apps were upated to 686, but its worth a try to fix it.
Old 30th November 2006, 09:41 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl
Hi,
Just forget your old kernel. Keep all what you have in grub.conf. and just boot off the new kernel.
Deps have been updated according to the new kernel.
I could have sworn he said that's what the problem was, he can't.
Old 30th November 2006, 09:51 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Yeah he did, but I think we all read a little too fast sometimes. At least I know I've done my share (of reading too fast)

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 1st December 2006, 12:54 AM
ToddEichel Offline

Yeah, the new kernel is the problem. Can't boot off of it.

Nick - no, didn't do anything about the i586 bug, I'll look into it to see if that helps... Thanks.
Old 1st December 2006, 01:09 AM
ToddEichel Offline

no, both kernals are i686. I'm removing the more recent one in yum-ex right now, see what happens from there....
Old 1st December 2006, 07:37 AM
tbl Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by u-noneinc-s
Yeah he did, but I think we all read a little too fast sometimes. At least I know I've done my share (of reading too fast)
Then i am on the list too

Sorry for that, Dies
Old 1st December 2006, 02:10 PM
Dies Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl
Then i am on the list too

Sorry for that, Dies
We all are, no need for an apology I just thought it was funny so I figured I'd call you on it.
Old 1st December 2006, 02:14 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickisgod1
did you fix the i586 kernel bug before you updated? I dont think that would cause panic though unless some kernel dependent apps were upated to 686, but its worth a try to fix it.
this not a bug , just the default kernel to change at install , you just have use the option linux i686
Old 1st December 2006, 03:54 PM
ToddEichel Offline

Both kernels were installed as i686. When I removed the 2849 kernel in yumex, it hosed my X server. Tried doing an update from the CD, that didn't work, so I just installed again. When it found all the updates at first log in, I just unselected the kernel update, allowed everything else, and it's working fine now. I just won't update the kernel until I see a newer build number....
Old 1st December 2006, 07:41 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123
this not a bug , just the default kernel to change at install , you just have use the option linux i686
You wouldnt call the fact the anaconda install the wrong arch kernel at default a bug? what would you call it? It performs an operation differently then was intended and is documented, to me this is a bug. Not really important, and easy to fix. But i would say installing the wrong kernel definitely qualifies as a bug in anaconda
Old 1st December 2006, 08:05 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickisgod1
You wouldnt call the fact the anaconda install the wrong arch kernel at default a bug? what would you call it? It performs an operation differently then was intended and is documented, to me this is a bug. Not really important, and easy to fix. But i would say installing the wrong kernel definitely qualifies as a bug in anaconda

its easy to fix dont install i586 kernel at install.
when booting install disk just type in

linux i686

and it will install the i686 kernel instead

it seems the developers made a small error.
Old 1st December 2006, 08:09 PM
nick.stumpos Offline

I know how to fix it, and im not saying it is not easy to fix but isn't the developers making a small error, or big error the definition of a bug, A program doing smething different then the programs intended due to a mistake in the coding
Old 1st December 2006, 08:34 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123
its easy to fix dont install i586 kernel at install.
when booting install disk just type in

linux i686

and it will install the i686 kernel instead

it seems the developers made a small error.
I have thought of it as a bug too, not that that matters.

This post is to say thanks for that linux i686 installation option. I think this is the first time I have seen it posted anywhere and I'll definitely remember that when the time comes.

D@mn, I love this forum

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

Tags
fc6, install