Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th November 2006, 04:12 PM
lxrules Offline

Exclamation FC6 Hangs on startup at network connect

I recently began using FC6 after dabling with Mandriva. I have been attempting to get my wireless card with the BCM4318 chipset to work. I have now mangaged to bugger up my system so that FC6 (64) hangs at optaining IP address for eth0 and will not proceed any further. I would guess that I need to disable the BCM card during start up but don't know how to get there. I am still very new to Linux, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 29th November 2006, 05:33 PM
madscientist Offline

It might be choking on the particular module it attempts to load in order to use your card. You can use "lsmod" to list which modules are in use. You can use "modprobe -r" to remove a module and see if that helps anything. These are just guesses though.
Old 30th November 2006, 04:46 PM
lxrules Offline

Pardon my ignorance, but can you tell me how to boot into either a failsafe or command prompt mode without loading the module(s)?
Old 30th November 2006, 05:34 PM
madscientist Offline

One option is to boot using your rescue CD. If you follow the prompts, you will be dropped off at a command line. This might not be terribly useful, though, because you're using the kernel on the rescue CD to boot, not the kernel you have installed on your system. But, once your looking at your system, take a peek at /etc/modprobe.conf. You may be able to remove something from there that gets you past the point at which your boot process hangs.

Tags
connect, fc6, hangs, network, startup