Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 29th November 2006, 07:25 AM
synic Offline

Angry Dual Graphics Card Dual Screen Desktop Effects Nvidia Xorg FC6 64 Kernel Problem

Dual Graphics Card Dual Screen Desktop Effects Nvidia Xorg FC6 64 Kernel

Challenge. Help Solve this problem thus gaining satisfaction in preventing madness and trauma in someone that cant.

Box: AMD 4600X2/ Asus A8N SLI Deluxe/ 2x512 2-2-2-5 Corsiar ram dual channel/ 2 x 250gig Samsung 7200 Sata2 (no raid) 1 x WD 120 gig 7200/ 2x7600GS nVidia graphics cards dual DVI (not used / no SLI)/ 1 x Avermedia DVTB card.

The 2 x 7600GS nVidia Graphics Cards work by default in WindowZzz XP in Dual Screen - and maximise fit to individual screens - and I can drag and drop / move between screens without a problem. I don't run SLI - although can and have enabled it in the past in WindowZzzz XP.

I am unable to configure FC6-64 to utilise 2 separate graphics cards as recognised by WindowZzz XP. I have been trying for almost 2 weeks without any success and am therefore rapidly going insane.

I have had Desktop Effects (nice ! enabled on the only working monitor, the Samsung SyncMaster 930BF until I tried to uninstall the nvidia driver and reinstall in attempt to fix the problem. Now Desktop Effects will not work / cannot be enabled.

So - I am unable to utilise 2 monitors - one on each separate graphics card, and I am unable to Enable Desktop Effects.

Nvidia Settings (pretty green GUI screen with Penguin on it) only shows 1 X-Screen - listed as 0 and shows my secondary BenQ monitor as disabled. I am unable to enable it as a message advises me that not all settings could be applied and / or reboot required.

Nvidia Settings recognises my 2 graphics cards listed as GPU 0 BUS 1:0:0 and GPU 1 BUS 2:0:0 respectively with the Samsung Monitor connected to GPU 0 and BenQ connected to GPU 1.

Most of the adjustments to xorg.conf were made in CTRL + ALT + F2 (which comes up with an ACPI error I need to fix) or /sbin/telinit 3, or CTRL+ALT+F1 via VIM and rebooted.

Section "Monitor" device entries are for the Samsung SyncMaster 930BF (primary) and a BenQ 737s (secondary) listed as monitor 0 and 1 respectively. Xorg lists my 2 separate monitors, along with 2 separate Graphics cards - however I have amended xorg to specify monitor names and resolutions that default to 1280x1080 - default resolution in WindowZzz.

Section "Device" Xorg.conf lists the 2 separate graphics cards by default. I had to amend xorg 'Device' section to specify VideoCard1 & VideoCard2 - and rebooted without successfully recognising my second monitor.

I have changed the "driver" entry to 'nVidia' instead of default 'nv' on both cards and rebooted without success.

I have manually specified "Screen 0" on Graphics card 0 to match with "ServerLayout" screen position section, and rebooted without success.

The BusID is listed as PCI:1:0:0 & PCI:2:0:0 for the respective graphics cards. I have verified the Bus entries work by changing the entry in xorg for the Video Card number and screen number around on each graphics card to reverse Graphics Card order and rebooted - FC6 then utilises the BenQ attached to what was Graphics card 1 (not 0) as the primary monitor whilst the Samsung, now occuping secondary monitor status as specified by "Screen 1" remains black/blank/not working. Both monitors work normally in WindowZzz XP by default.

I have added entries to xorg to indicate the presence of 4 graphics cards to distinguish between the 2 separate DVI heads on each of the graphics cards and (I think) adjusted the values listed to (I think) accurately (AND This Xorg Config COULD BE THE PROBLEM) reflect the properties of each card and the individual .

I have dabbled with Beryl but it provides me a message to the effect that I am missing something from my installation. I am not sure what would be missing as I installed from FC6 64 DVD and installed what I thought was a complete Desktop/Office package. This is my third install and I refuse to undertake a clean install again. This will bloody work (insert psychotic Fedora Core user image here) or I am throwing my puter off the balcony which would be a pitting considering its specs - see first paragraph.

I have updated nvidia drivers through "yum install kmod-nvidia" and updated via "yum update kmod-nvidia" so drivers should be current 'safe' repositories from livna, and successfully rebooted - - - - without dual card /dual monitor success. I have also configured xorg after the 'update' and rebooted without success.

I have run the GLXtool ? and get frame rates of between 7000-12000 depending on what I have running on my puter, nice and fluid. I only get between 500-700 on an older puter - (AMD 2600xp/ Abit NF7s/ 2x512 3200XL 2-2-2-5 Corsair/ 120gig WD7200 sata1/ Geforce 5200fx) - Also running FC6 64 - this puter will not Enable Desktop Effects.

I have followed FireWing1's This HowTo on AIGLX and updating nvidia drivers and am under the impression that the update/reinstall went 'reasonably' well, but this needs to be verified. However I was still unable to Enable Desktop Effects after following the HowTo. This may also present a problem.

I have not tried to enable 'Dual Head' on only 1 graphics card as I would like to utilise the resources of each individually. I have changed the DVI that the monitors connect to on each card in order to isolate problems with the monitors being connected to the wrong head and by default WindowZzz recognises both monitors whilst FC6 only recognises one.

I do not think this is a hardware problem (obviously because I am rocket scientist, brains oozing everywhere, and know that if it works in XP then the hardware is fine . It is a configuration and/or software installation problem. I would really like tips on how to configure my cards correctly and/or install or reinstall the "software" and drivers that I may be missing.

Comments anyone? Pleaze....?! I am desperate as a strung out junky right now and know the answer to this problem will bring enlightenment and salvation from the WindowZzz Nightmare. Please save me. Please Save me PLEASE SAVE ME!

Synic
Old 29th November 2006, 10:54 AM
synic Offline

Ok... I know everyone is enthusiastic about my 'problem' here. Just to keep things going I decided to poach some one else's xorg and hey presto, I have dual screen on two separate cards.

I had my Graphics Card Device entries all screwed up. The "IDENTIFIERS" needed to be added as per below. I knew that I had to effectivly identify each HEAD as a sparate card, but wasn't sure on the numbering sequence. Now I know lots of people probably knew that, or figured it out, but my 'ignorace' almost cost me a divorce.

Anyway, ONWARDS AND UPWARDS. Now just have to enable DESKTOP EFFECTS. And I guess I will continue with the forums.

Any takers? : ) Pretty Pleaze.....?

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config
#Section "ServerFlags"
# Option "Xinerama" "1"
# Option "Clone" "0"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "DualHead"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
Option "Xinerama" "1"
Option "AIGLX" "1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "int10"
Load "type1"
Load "ddc"
Load "glx"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbVariant" "intl"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Samsung"
ModelName "SyncMaster 930BF"
HorizSync 31.5 - 67.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 72.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "BenQ"
ModelName "FP737s"
HorizSync 31.5 - 67.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 72.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard11 "
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS]"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard12"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard21"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard22"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard11"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Videocard21"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Old 5th December 2006, 07:47 PM
tullyj Offline

i got desktop effects working, but never did get the dual screen working, but thought you might like to see what I've done with your xorg.conf.

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "DualHead"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
Screen 1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
Option "TwinView" "true"
Option "AIGLX" "1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "Compaq FP7317 Flat Panel Monitor"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "NEC"
ModelName "AccuSync 95F"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "TwinView" "true"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024;1280x1024,NULL;"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite"
EndSection

maybe you can find out why desktop effects work for me, dual screen (single graphics card) doesn't work. and why you are having opposite problems
Old 5th December 2006, 09:21 PM
synic Offline

Dual screen Dual card - No Desktop Effects

I have managed to get 'dual screen' via 'dual card' working (after a new install) - but am unable to get desktop effects working accross the two cards. I had put it down to not being able to run Desktop Effects across two individual cards but have since found out (sorry no link) that Desktop Effects will span across dual cards.

Tullyj - does this result in a 'dualview' setup with the tool bar stretched across 2 screens or desktop that 'spans' 2 screens with windows maximising to each individual montior?

I am stumped.
Old 6th December 2006, 12:21 AM
tullyj Offline

with my xorg.conf I never got both screens to successfully span across both. On the second monitor it flashes on the login screen and goes into standby. I have got it to span, unfortunately I don't have that working xorg.conf. Also, that one did not work for desktop effects. So, I was thinking you could help me getting both screens to work, but my xorg.conf works for desktop effects.

peace, synic.
Old 6th December 2006, 02:25 AM
synic Offline

So you Desktop Effects xorg works on only one monitor cause the other is chucking a narnar!... ??

My understanding of DualView is limited. I am under the impression it dosnt work across two separate video cards but is limited to 'dual head' on a single card - so I can only really give some constructive suggestions in relation to 'dual head' in 'spanning' mode.

What I found with my setup was that because I wanted to run 'dual screen' across two cards, and not just on 2 heads (on the same card) - that I had to configure my xorg.conf to effectivly identify two heads on each card - making 4 heads - showing as 4 separate cards to the system. So when you look at the entries on my xorg you will seen that in the device section I have each 'head' listed as a separate card. So - this sort of tells Fedora that there are theoretically 4 video cards on my system.

So - if you only have one card then - to get a dual view 'spanning' across 2 monitors then you will / should have 2 entries in the Device section (I THINK). Both entries would have the same BusID. but one will have and entry for Screen 0 - whilst the other will have an entry for Screen 1. ( I do know that dualview changes this aspect of the Device section - so take what I have said with a grain of salt... or two).

Acually... Im ranting a bit here.... there are others with a better take on this. I found so decent posts at Linux Questions re: DualView - have a quick look. If you have yumex configured to check the livna testing repo then you can try the latest drivers too. That worked for me.
Old 18th December 2006, 06:28 PM
banjoman Offline

Have you tried using NVidia settings tool in the system tool menu? I found thix configured x.conf intelligently, without needing to fight the gnome interface! After that desktop effects still may not work, but I think it is definately the place to start. (you can correct your gamma aswell).
ps. you can open the tool without a password, but to keep any mods you need to open it as soopaRoot, so either call the app by name from a SUed terminal, or logon to gui as root

(actually a rather old pc, but linux has given it a new squirt of life)

;)

Tags
card, desktop, dual, effects, fc6, graphics, kernel, nvidia, problem, screen, xorg