Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th November 2006, 04:33 AM
robgreene Offline

yum hangs forever

When I run "yum update", yum hangs and never comes back (unless interrupted). This just started happening in the last few days, not sure what triggered it although I had a dilly of a time updating just before Thanksgiving - kept "missing" dependencies. I tried daily and it finally worked.

I'm running FC5 that is up-to-date as of about a week ago. I have tried "yum clear all", "yum makecache", and a few other commands with no change in behavior.

Here's what I see when I run "yum update" -
Code:
[root@zeus ~]# yum update
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
atrpms                                                               [1/5]
atrpms                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
core                                                                 [2/5]
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates                                                              [3/5]
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
freshrpms                                                            [4/5]
freshrpms                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
extras                                                               [5/5]
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
At this point, nothing budges - I let it go all day today (just in case) but no dice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Rob
Old 26th November 2006, 05:43 AM
scotta3234 Offline

Personally, I would suggest installing a fresh yum configuration from http://www.fedorafaq.org/ or http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...s.html#Warning

I don't use atrpms for anything as there are several warnings about using them, especially if mixed with the wrong repositories.
Old 26th November 2006, 05:58 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

First, try
Code:
yum --disablerepo=atrpms update
and see if it continues to hang. If it does, definately take scotta3234's advice and install a fresh yum config.
If it doesn't hang, eliminate atrpms.

It's my guess that if you've already installed anything with atrpms (mythtv suite?), you'll wind up with dependency errors if it does work so you may end up uninstalling whatever you installed with atrpms.

If you need anything from atrpms, it's probably best to DL it to somewhere convenient and install it with
Code:
yum localinstall path/to/file-to-install

EDIT: Also do not mix Stantons config with fedora faq config as Stanton uses freshrpms and dries and faq uses livna. Both are good sources but not together.

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted

Last edited by u-noneinc-s; 26th November 2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 26th November 2006, 03:54 PM
robgreene Offline

You are correct - this is also a MythTV server and I installed the atrpms and freshrpms repositories per Myth(TV)ology HOWTO (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#xtrarepos). Never had this problem on this machine, and I think my old FC3 install used apt-get instead of yum.

I'll try disabling atrpms and freshrpms and hope that it puts things back. But, from what I'm reading I may be out of luck with some dependency getting clobbered. Out of curiosity, couldn't yum complain about what's wrong or is it stuck in some infinite dependency?

I don't mind installing RPMs by hand - but MythTV has so many that it would be extremely tedious putting it all together. Hence stuff like yum!

Are you aware of any MythTV packages that work with the FC5 repository?

Thanks! I'll report back as things progress or not...
-Rob
Old 26th November 2006, 07:42 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

I'm not sure what works with fedora repos, but I think there are quite a few people using mythtv without problems. It may be that it's just the mythtv suite that is causing problems (changing other packages such as mplayer). I don't know, just a guess.
Did you look in the HOWTO section and see if there were any mythtv how-tos that might explain how to avoid the deps?

Perpetual Newbie
--
I wanted to proclaim myself "The Typo King" but there's way too much competion. :p

411874 Get Counted
Old 27th November 2006, 06:17 AM
brunson Offline

I think there may actually be something wrong with the latest yum or one of its recently updated dependencies. I was getting hangs and segfaults on my laptop on Friday trying to update, a "clean all" and a reboot seemed to fix it on that machine. However, here on a separate machine I'm seeing hangs and just now a check-update resulted in a segfault.

Doing an strace on yum shows it stalling waiting for a lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages and fuser /var/lib/rpm/Packages found me another yum process holding a lock on it, but killing it didn't get rid of the hang. I'm going to try rebooting since it's still hanging on a futex() call.

**Update**
Rebooting seems to have done the trick, something else must have failed to release a lock somewhere, which is odd because I successfully installed the xen kernel using yum an hour ago.
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy

Last edited by brunson; 27th November 2006 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Added results of reboot
Old 27th November 2006, 06:28 AM
brunson Offline

FWIW, I've been using livna and freshrpms together on a half dozen machines for about a year and a half on FC5 and FC6 and I haven't had any problems. The same can't be said for atrpms, though it's a great repository I had too many issues to use it regularly. But I keep reading posts that say to avoid using liv and fr together, so I thought I'd chime in with my success.

That being said, I'll probably install the wrong thing tomorrow and end up reinstalling six machines. ;-)
Registered Linux User #4837
411th in line to get sued by Micro$oft
Quote:
Basically, to learn Unix you learn to understand and apply a small set of key ideas and achieve expertise by expanding both the set of ideas and your ability to apply them - Paul Murphy
Old 27th November 2006, 06:33 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

I never complained about it (or questioned it) but I've been having an annoying problem for some time now with yum/yumex on FC5.
I generally use yumex, and only occassionally use yum for yum whatprovides or yum list, The yum cli completes successfully, but it always seems to cause a problem on yumex after and it always seems to take a reboot to clear it.
I can use yumex all day long without problems. I'm guessing I could use yum all day long without problems (guess I'll have to try it first thing tomorrow and not touch yumex), but yumex after yum is always a problem. Could be the lock thing I guess (I never looked).

I'm glad you posted that brunson

Perpetual Newbie
--

411874 Get Counted
Old 2nd December 2006, 03:25 AM
robgreene Offline

Sorry, I've been gone, so I'm just getting back to this. I noticed tonight when I was going to try yum (hey, miracles sometimes happen!) that there was a lock, so I poked around. I'm seeing multiple sets of RPM hung in the background. One day's worth looks like this:

Code:
root     26133 19912  0 Nov25 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh /etc/cron.daily/rpm
root     26134 19912  0 Nov25 ?        00:00:00 awk -v progname=/etc/cron.daily/rpm progname {?????   print progname ":\n"?????   progname="";????       }????       { print; }
root     26135 26133  0 Nov25 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/rpm/rpmq -q --all --qf %{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm\n
Since yum deals with rpms I wouldn't be surprised if this is related - or actually the problem. I have rpm-4.4.2-15.2 installed.
-Rob
Old 2nd December 2006, 03:54 AM
u-noneinc-s Offline

This looks a little over my head, but I'll take a stab that this is not necessarily a problem but probably a cron.daily rpmdb check/update.

I never seem to recall the command for checing running processes. (ps -option)? man ps may help. I usually check with webmin to kill any hung yum/yumex processes. ksysguard is another useful monitor gnome-system-monitor will also show running processes but it doesn't provide a kill option (though I would swear it used to).

I guess you could always rm the lock as well. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can remove a valid "active" lock so I don't think you can hurt anything. I COULD BE WRONG

Perpetual Newbie
--

411874 Get Counted
Old 2nd December 2006, 04:13 AM
robgreene Offline

Talking Woo-hoo!

Hey - YUM IS WORKING AGAIN!

I think it was the RPM database. I was browsing elsewhere on the forum and somebody mentioned that. Googling turned up this site , and I tried the rebuild...

Code:
ls -l /var/lib/rpm
rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
rpm -vv --rebuilddb
yum
yum clean all
rm /var/run/yum.pid
yum clean all
yum update
Basically, the process is this:
(1) delete the old RPM databases and rebuild (-vv is extra verbosity - tons of text printed out).
(2) yum failed with the lock - SO I KILLED IT MANUALLY (good or bad, there was nothing running)
(3) cleaned up the yum database (probably not required)
(4) yum update worked.

Thanks for hanging in there folks!!
-Rob
Old 8th December 2006, 04:36 AM
Trek1701 Offline

Thanks robgreene, you saved my Fedora.

FC 12 - 64 bits

Dell Vostro 1710 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 @ 2.60GHz | DDR 2GB | nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 512MB | WLAN Broadcom BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n | Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller | Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth | Seagate 5400rpm 160GB | Western Digital 5400rpm 320GB

Maemo 5

Nokia N900 | ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz | PowerVR SGX graphics | 32GB | Designed in Finland
Old 13th January 2007, 06:12 PM
robgreene Offline

Periodic hosing...

Fortunately, I can fix this, but periodically, yum strings itself up and never comes back. I suspect there is something nefarious going on, but I haven't got a clue.

Anyone with a clue?
I'm listening...
Old 13th January 2007, 06:32 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgreene
Fortunately, I can fix this, but periodically, yum strings itself up and never comes back. I suspect there is something nefarious going on, but I haven't got a clue.

Anyone with a clue?
I'm listening...
Question...Are you using yum or yumex?

As for the corrupted db, I'm no expert, but I believe this can happen with interrupted updates (user killed process or desktop crash or something like that).

The existing lock could be caused by the same. If yum hangs and you maybe ctl+z to kill it and then you start it again you'll get an existing lock because it is still running (idle) in the bg. You need to find the PID and kill it.
Code:
ps -e |grep yum
then
Code:
kill xxx
(where xxx is the PID of the yum process).

Another cause for the existing lock could be auto updates. If autoupdates is running (active) yum won't start (because it's already running in the bg). I don't recall what the autoupdates is called but it's some variation of "yumupdatesd". You might want to get rid of it. It may be listed in your services, I don't remember. I disabled it as soon as I installed because I had already read about a lot of problems with it conflicting with yum.

You might also run yum with the -d 5 switch and see if you get any debug info (you can use 1-10 for increasing debug level. 5 is a good place to start). So,
Code:
yum -d 5 command

Perpetual Newbie
--

411874 Get Counted

Last edited by u-noneinc-s; 13th January 2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 24th October 2009, 07:03 PM
ridercoder Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
FEDORA 11 YUM UPDATE ERROR
1. add following in .bashrc
export http_proxy="http://username:Password@proxy:Port/"
export ftp_proxy="http://username:Password@proxy:Port/"

2. adding the following line to /etc/rc.local

ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492

THEN DO yum update . then try yum update . i think it will do