Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th November 2006, 08:18 PM
New Fedora User Offline

Unhappy Newbie stupidity

Scratching my head...obviously I missed something somewhere when I was installing FC6 last night.

I could've sworn I set myself as the administrator, but it's telling me now that I don't have permissions to place files in the bin filder.

I'm trying to figure out how to install a program that I downloaded offline, specifically RealPlayer 10. As you can see, I'm totally new to Fedora, and Linux altogether. So far, I'm really liking it.
Old 25th November 2006, 08:26 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

This isnt like Windows. When you were in anaconda before the actual install you were asked a root password. This is your administrator account. You can either log in as

user: root (the actual word "root" here!)
password: YOUR ROOT PASSWORD

EDIT: I am also obligated to put in the warning disclaimer here- You do not want to preform day to day operations in the root account! In fact, I wouldnt even come into this account unless I had to, then I would get back out as fast as possible. Another little trick I do is set my wallpaper in this root account to a bright red. This is a constant reminder I am root and should be very very careful!

or, while using your user account (the one under your name) you can open a terminal and type:

Code:
$ su -
password: YOUR ROOT PASSWORD
#
the pound sign shows you are now root. You can also set up a sudo link like ubuntu if you prefer that.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 25th November 2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 25th November 2006, 08:27 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello;
Welcome
If you are new then please take a few minutes to read through here:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/
and
http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_fc5
which is a well written guide to get you off the the right foot

Edit: Sorry JN4, didn't mean to post over ....
Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 25th November 2006, 08:28 PM
thedude Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Fedora User
Scratching my head...obviously I missed something somewhere when I was installing FC6 last night.

I could've sworn I set myself as the administrator, but it's telling me now that I don't have permissions to place files in the bin filder.

I'm trying to figure out how to install a program that I downloaded offline, specifically RealPlayer 10. As you can see, I'm totally new to Fedora, and Linux altogether. So far, I'm really liking it.
I've been using Stanton Finley's How to Guide here http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html to setup my fc6, just make the few changes for fc6. Some of the apps you may have to download from the source.

They figured he was a lazy time wasting slacker.
They were right.

Registered Linux User 425311
Old 25th November 2006, 08:37 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve
Hello;
Welcome
If you are new then please take a few minutes to read through here:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/
and
http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_fc5
which is a well written guide to get you off the the right foot

Edit: Sorry JN4, didn't mean to post over ....
Seve
No problem Seve, very important info! In fact, you should really bone up on much of this stuff before you attempt it. For instance, you dont download and install programs like you would in Windows. Use yum and yumex for as much as possible, straight RPMs from reputable places such as sourceforge if you have to and compile only as a last resort. In addition to The Dude's link (wich is invaluable material and though written for FC5 will mostly work for FC6) you should also check out:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html

And browse this forum before you jump into anything also. We have a search function that is passable if you keep it to one or two keywords.
Old 26th November 2006, 04:51 PM
New Fedora User Offline

Ok. If i'm reading correctly, I should be able to log in as root and use the yum install command to install a program. I'm typing it like this:

yum install RealPlayerGOLD.bin

It looks like it's about to install, then says there's no argument for that and there's nothing to do. I'm learning slowly, I know. But, what am I doing wrong???
Old 26th November 2006, 06:04 PM
Dies Offline

Yum is used for installing rpm's so that's why you're getting that error.

To install .bin files type ./<Name of File> or sh <Name of File> in the directory where you have the file.
So if you DL'ed RealPlayer to your desktop open a terminal and type cd Desktop then type chmod a+x RealPlayer* ( this is to make sure the file is executable ) and finally ./RealPlayer*.

If you want to install rpm files that you DL'ed just double click them.

But rule of thumb always check the README or INSTALL file for whatever it is you're trying to install.
If my instructions for RealPlayer aren't clear the ones on their website are a lot nicer.
Old 26th November 2006, 07:33 PM
New Fedora User Offline

Ok, well that makes things a whole lot easier. I had the RPM, but I had no idea I could install it that easily. I guess i'll just get the RPM from now on whenever possible.

Tags
newbie, stupidity